Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

SBC Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC Won't Start

I have a mildly built 350, runs on pump gas, carburetor, stock ignition....

Here's the problem, it ran ok... I replaced the intake gasket and the carb gaskets, (probably 6 months apart intake first then the carb), it still ran okay. Now the motor won't start at all, it turns over fine, timing is dead nuts, and it is getting fuel to the carb, when I choke it, and put the pedal to the floor it acts like it wants to start but just wont take off. With out putting the pedal to the floor the motor just turns over like there is no spark, I checked for spark and it is getting spark, but it seems like it is not as bright as it should be.

I was told two different things, the possibility that it is flooded, and to take all 8 plugs out and let it air out for an hour or so? Can this actually happen, and stay that way for 2 straight days? Another possiblity is that the timng chain skipped a tooth, I have not driven the truck at all since before last winter, I drove it into my garage, cleaned it up and drove it out, then parked it, now it sits, and will not start. I find it hard to believe that it would of jumped just sitting there and not being ran.

One other thing, when it does run and is not warmed up completly, when I put it in gear it wants to die?? Not sure what the problem is.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CF!

Fuel pressure ok?, Strong Spark? Hopefully someone else here can shed a little more light than I can on this one.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Don't Know

Not sure, do not have a good way to check either, but the weird part is it ran fine, then I parked it, then the next day it just won't start?
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

If you have a extra spark plug, just pull one of the wires off a plug on the motor and see if you can see a good blue spark when cranking it, you would need a fuel pressure guage to check the fuel. I know a little about a little but Iam not ASE certified, lets see what the pros or more advanced guys have to say.
Old May 8th, 2009, 2:54 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

OK, you posted this twice, but you answered my question, it is not a new install and it has run before.
I would agree and say I believe it jumped timing, could have happen the 1st time you tried to turn it over this year.
Old May 8th, 2009, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Two things come to mind right away

A vacuum leak

Something wrong inside the distributor.

Did you say a blue or yellow spark?If it's pre-HEI, it sounds a lot like a bad condensor. Used to play hell with the dwell...
Old May 9th, 2009, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Well, as I had said, it is HEI, so I am not sure if there is even a condenser?? Vacuum lines are perfect, everything is set up Perfect, this build was not my first rodeo, the problem is someone else built the motor and I got it for free as of a favor.... I can almost gaurantee that it is something very stupid that is being over looked, I am going to start a the fuses! Thanks everyone, I will keep you posted
Old May 9th, 2009, 5:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No, if it's HEI, you might have a condenser on the outside of the distributor, but it's only there to eliminate radio static.

HEI, the bottom of your ECM, is it greased with dielectric grease?

Pick -up coil(under your rotor) kicking out proper readings? Check that HEI Distributor Cap. The coil may not be wired tight, and the caps themselves crack and get carbon tracks, sometimes.