Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Service charging system light

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2019, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service charging system light

Hello everybody. I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 V8. Its 4WD single cab 8 foot box. I have lately on occasion getting a service charging system light on the dash. Its different everyday in which it comes on and goes off. I replaced the battery at the beginning of the winter because that died. The alternator was tested also as long with the starter and it all checks out great. All connections (to what I can see) are tight. The truck does have an aftermarket radio and remote starter and was checked over by the boomer mcloud in Albany and everything was fine on there part. Any suggestions?
Thanks Ethan
Old February 26th, 2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

You should monitor your voltage when the light comes on.
Old February 26th, 2019, 8:26 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

on the 2010 i just got i was seeing the volt gauge drop to the point the needle was on the "1" for the 14. check the volts and its sitting at 12.8. its at the dealer right now for that and other problems, i cant seam to recreate the issue also and if i turn it off and restart it it will be around 14.5V if not a tad higher. im thinking its the alt but not real sure, ill try to update you when i find out
Old March 4th, 2019, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

The voltage drops a little when the light first comes on but then goes right back to normal running voltage but the light stays on
Old March 4th, 2019, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
on the 2010 i just got i was seeing the volt gauge drop to the point the needle was on the "1" for the 14. check the volts and its sitting at 12.8. its at the dealer right now for that and other problems, i cant seam to recreate the issue also and if i turn it off and restart it it will be around 14.5V if not a tad higher. im thinking its the alt but not real sure, ill try to update you when i find out
Let me know! My alternator checked out ok. Thanks
Old March 5th, 2019, 11:29 AM
I'm here for the party

they replaced the battery, the truck failed inspection due to the battery not being tied down and the guy said it was probably due to the battery being too small. so they replaced it but i havnt really havnt had the chance drive it too much as i let the wife drive it to haul the kids around and i doubt she would notice the gauge fluctuating
Old March 19th, 2019, 11:47 AM
I'm here for the party

just a little update the wife noticed when she was driving the truck the needle was back on the "1" so its still not properly charging

edit:
apparently Gm has a smart charging system that tried to conserve gas and battery life by not fully charging the battery when its not needed

Last edited by Irish_alley; April 15th, 2019 at 10:38 PM. Reason: correction
Old April 30th, 2019, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

What did you guys find out
Old April 30th, 2019, 3:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Does the light coincide with some accessory turning on?