Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Service light will not reset. Help Please

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2020, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service light will not reset. Help Please

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier I purchased this car around 2 years ago and the service light light was on when purchased. Besides the Service Light. Dash lights not working and interior light. The car runs great never had a problem. But I need to get a smog and I cant because of service light. I tried to reset the service light bye Turn on key with engine off, depress gas pedal to the floor three time then key off. That did not work. Also tried turn key on without starting and pump brakes 4 times on fourth time hold 30 seconds. That did not work either. Does anyone possible know what else I can do to get rid of light. I would very much appreciate any help/info someone might be able to share with me. Thank you for your time.

Old December 22nd, 2020, 2:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by warpig23

2000 Chevrolet Cavalier I purchased this car around 2 years ago and the service light light was on when purchased. Besides the Service Light. Dash lights not working and interior light. The car runs great never had a problem. But I need to get a smog and I cant because of service light. I tried to reset the service light bye Turn on key with engine off, depress gas pedal to the floor three time then key off. That did not work. Also tried turn key on without starting and pump brakes 4 times on fourth time hold 30 seconds. That did not work either. Does anyone possible know what else I can do to get rid of light. I would very much appreciate any help/info someone might be able to share with me. Thank you for your time.

First, post the code, second, you may need to use a scan tool to reset it. With that, you have a DTC set, and won't reset because it is still present.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 2:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

You can try disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes. That should reset it, but it will come back if there is an ongoing problem.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
First, post the code, second, you may need to use a scan tool to reset it. With that, you have a DTC set, and won't reset because it is still present.
I have scanner and when I hooked it up it did not give me anything. No code Nothing.