Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2015, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank goodness I found this site and can see the frustrations here. I went to a concert last Thursday (5/28/15) and after it was finished, came out to start mt car. Nope, no start. Theft Deterrent Error was on the dash. I didn't know what it meant. A lovely taxi driver came and jump started it. I now know it was a coincidence that it started as the error message has nothing to do with the battery. Now I have Stablitrak messages, Power Steering messages. I went running this morning. Car wouldn't start. After getting out and getting a few times, it started. Same as when I went to go to work a few hours later. This is so frustrating. My car is out of warranty. The dealer says they can't do anything as they have to see the error. I don't earn a lot of money and this car was a stretch for me. I have no idea what to do.

Last edited by nichollies; June 2nd, 2015 at 3:12 PM.
Old June 15th, 2015, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

I just started having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Cruz. Not sure what to do. Really don't want to have to get another car. All these recalls are getting ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello derrickjaxn,

I certainly understand how frustrating out of pocket expenses can be and I'd like to apologize for the trouble you're experiencing with your 2012 Cruze. We'd like to look more into this and work with your dealership toward a possible resolution. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We are looking forward to your message.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 16th, 2015, 8:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tomanumano
I just started having the same problem with my 2011 Chevy Cruz. Not sure what to do. Really don't want to have to get another car. All these recalls are getting ridiculous.
Hi Tom,

We completely understand how frustrating this may seem, and we would be more than happy to look into this more for you. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We would be happy to assist the best way possible.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that is doing the same thing. I followed your recommendation, disconnected positive and negative terminals from the battery, held them together for little over a minute and it worked. However, if aren't planning to drive immediately to the dealer, then you wind up repeating the same procedure whenever you need to restart your car....this sucks! Chevrolet needs to fix this problem! Something is defective with this theft system!
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, i have a 2013 chevy cruze, my car wouldnt start my car this morning, i have the security deterrant message, the battery is currently charging if this does not work, what are my options, my warranty is already up and I cant be without my car..
Old September 21st, 2015, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

All you have to do when you have a battery problem

Russians know it all!
Old September 22nd, 2015, 1:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default Check key fob

Originally Posted by Isaacqmv3720
In my chevrolet colorado truck panel show Service Theft Deterrent System so how can i deal with problem?
Please advice.
Just had this problem and found it to be key fob. The fob worked the door locks and trunk just fine but car would not start. I took apart fob and found currosion on and around battery I cleaned it up reinstalled same battery (I was stranded) and it started up just fine hope this helps
Old September 22nd, 2015, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Check key fob

Originally Posted by dambey
I have a 2013 Chevy Cruze that is doing the same thing. I followed your recommendation, disconnected positive and negative terminals from the battery, held them together for little over a minute and it worked. However, if aren't planning to drive immediately to the dealer, then you wind up repeating the same procedure whenever you need to restart your car....this sucks! Chevrolet needs to fix this problem! Something is defective with this theft system!
Clean and replace battery in key fob. Mine worked doors and trunk but would not start car I recovered battery cleaned up the contacts and reinstalled old battery ,as I was stranded, and everything worked fine hope this helps
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same issue with my 2012 Cruze. I was able to fix the issue just by tightening the negative battery cable connector. 5 minutes with a 10mm socket. No more issue. Give it a try, make sure and don't touch any metal with the wrench when tighting.

I was amazed that I could turn the nut almost a full turn.
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem with my 2012 Cruze and It started Sunday night so all dealers are closed and having to be to work Monday morning before any dealerships are open hopefully I don't have to come out of pocket for any random parts. Between the recalls and the inconvenient services with this car is starting to become too much.Chevy really needs to do better with the product of these cars

Last edited by Jaeluv4; November 15th, 2015 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery