Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2018, 2:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was leaving work and went to start my 2006 impala. It wouldn't start. I got the service theft deterrent system message. I turned the ignition to on then took off the negative cable waited a few seconds put it back on and my car started right up. I hope this helps others with the same problem.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 cruze

Car is stuck in the garage with service theft deterrent system. tried all of the suggestions for resetting and did not work.
anything else i can try besides towing to mechanic?
Old September 26th, 2018, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dsking33
Car is stuck in the garage with service theft deterrent system. tried all of the suggestions for resetting and did not work.
anything else i can try besides towing to mechanic?
I had the same problem i tried the 10 min method with my door open didnt work, then tried it with my door closed and it worked. Try both ways hope you have some luck..
Old November 25th, 2018, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 avalanche

I have the same problem i replaced my ignition cylinder an now wont start or turmover
i broke the wire on the t detternt box i gpt another one does it have to be exactly for that vehicle.
Old January 8th, 2019, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Chevy express can

Cannot start my work van message boards say service deterrent system what should I do
Old January 28th, 2019, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service anti theft deterrent system on 2013 Yukon.. car don’t start

I have 2013 Yukon xl. This issue started probably after installing a new battery. after that I have spent so much money but the issue remains.. starter changed, programmed new keys.
i need some real help from GMC.. it is extremely frustrating.
my number is 732-485-7698
i have doent so much money.. scared of taking truck to long distances
PLEASE HELP
Old April 21st, 2019, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2008 suburban changed the cracked dashboard now it will not start. I tried taking the battery cable trick nothing. The key fob does nothing, also, the rear windows will not work, the front windows work. The stabil lock message is on the dash, the security light comes on then goes out. Anyone have an experience like this after a dash replacement?
Old June 29th, 2019, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Are doors supposed to be locked while doing this?

this worked on my 2015 impala! All doors must remain closed the entire time I did not lock them

Originally Posted by knjkav
Thanks to some posts that steer you in the right direction i tried the battery thing and it didn't work on mine and then i tried to relearn method and it took several tries. it would be the 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes method. depending on individual bases it might work first try or second try or the third.
1- try to start the car, if it won't turn over and the Lock symbol stays on then leave it with the ignition in the on position for ten minutes. after ten min. turn to off position and wait 20 seconds try to start if it doesn't don't turn to off and leave for another 10 minutes then off for 20 sec. and try to start. if it doesn't start don't turn to off position and leave for another 10 min. then turn to off for 20 sec. and try to start. mine started at this point and was fine and happppppy.
I hope yours does the same thing. otherwise i think you have to tow to dealer and my parts department at chevy dealer said they will charge $40 to do the programming for you.
Some cases the receiver transmitter in the vehicle goes bad and that cost over 200 for part then installation and reprogram. hope its not your case.

Last edited by Loneil01; June 29th, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old July 28th, 2019, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

I had this problem - turns out it was a bad battery. Just for everyone's information.
Old July 30th, 2019, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Service anti theft deterrent system

I have a 2014 Impala about every 5th time I go to start it it doesn’t start and, I get the lovely service anti theft deterrent system. What’s the deal? Is there a permanent fix to this I was told it’s either my key or the ignition switch. I have 2 keys for this car and, I can’t see both keys being bad. I don’t have much extra income but, taking it to the shop on Thursday hoping they can find the problem and, fix it. This is getting old real fast Chevy needs to get it together and, put a recall out or something. Seems like this is a common frustrating problem with Chevy’s. I can get the car started after about 10 seconds but, my security light still stays on steady. Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery