Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2019, 2:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM started installing theft control modules in the 90s. My 1999 Suburban had the same issue. It turns out that these modules have an issue with heat killing them. My module was no longer available from GM, but I found someone online that repaired them. All I needed to do was the key relearn process to program it. It is a known issue and has been for decades. No sign that GM is even thinking about addressing it.

Drag
Old September 4th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Dragnfyr
GM started installing theft control modules in the 90s. My 1999 Suburban had the same issue. It turns out that these modules have an issue with heat killing them. My module was no longer available from GM, but I found someone online that repaired them. All I needed to do was the key relearn process to program it. It is a known issue and has been for decades. No sign that GM is even thinking about addressing it.

Thank you for the information and, this makes sense the day it did that last was a really super humid day out. All was fine for a little over 2 weeks and, I started it up today and, it did it again. I turned off my car for a minute and it started right up. Don’t know what the issue was today it was cool out but, it did rain last night. This issue is so intermittent for me that I don’t know if it will ever be fixed. I’m going to try to do the key relearn procedure and see what happens. I’m going to call the dealership I know their just going to tell me to bring it back in. I don’t know if they’ll be able to figure it out bc, it’s so intermittent. The dealership initially told me it was a dirty ground that they cleaned up. All was fine for 10 days and, then it did it again. I highly doubt it was the ground that they said it was. This is beyond frustrating and, GM really needs to address this issue bc, it’s been going on for years.

Drag
[QUOTE=Dragnfyr;434005]GM started installing theft control modules in the 90s. My 1999 Suburban had the same issue. It turns out that these modules have an issue with heat killing them. My module was no longer available from GM, but I found someone online that repaired them. All I needed to do was the key relearn process to program it. It is a known issue and has been for decades. No sign that GM is even thinking about addressing it.
Old September 5th, 2019, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks! security module

Thanks!!

Quote:

Drag

Thank you for the information and, this makes sense the day it did that last was a really super humid day out. All was fine for a little over 2 weeks and, I started it up today and, it did it again. I turned off my car for a minute and it started right up. Don’t know what the issue was today it was cool out but, it did rain last night. This issue is so intermittent for me that I don’t know if it will ever be fixed. I’m going to try to do the key relearn procedure and see what happens. I’m going to call the dealership I know their just going to tell me to bring it back in. I don’t know if they’ll be able to figure it out bc, it’s so intermittent. The dealership initially told me it was a dirty ground that they cleaned up. All was fine for 10 days and, then it did it again. I highly doubt it was the ground that they said it was. This is beyond frustrating and, GM really needs to address this issue bc, it’s been going on for years.
Melissa Randazzo

No problem... If they just scan the engine codes, they will never find it, it is a fault in the security system of the car... What it was doing (on my car) was that it would turn off the injector circuit if it didn't recognize the key correctly. The module for my car was $275 from Chevrolet before they discontinued the part from their inventory. A rebuilt one today is available for my truck at $149 (
.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fpro-rebuild&v=5tUw-F-uWQs&event=video_description). A module to disable the pass-lock entirely (https://newrockies.com/passlock-bypass-2/) is $259. I just installed the rebuilt module, did the key relearn and BAMM it was fixed... AND it had a lifetime warranty.

Drag
Old September 5th, 2019, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the info

[QUOTE=Dragnfyr;434633]Thanks!!

Quote:

Drag

Melissa Randazzo

No problem... If they just scan the engine codes, they will never find it, it is a fault in the security system of the car... What it was doing (on my car) was that it would turn off the injector circuit if it didn't recognize the key correctly. The module for my car was $275 from Chevrolet before they discontinued the part from their inventory. A rebuilt one today is available for my truck at $149 (
.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fpro-rebuild&v=5tUw-F-uWQs&event=video_description). A module to disable the pass-lock entirely (https://newrockies.com/passlock-bypass-2/) is $259. I just installed the rebuilt module, did the key relearn and BAMM it was fixed... AND it had a lifetime warranty.

Thanks once again, with mine I really don’t know seeing as though I have a 2014 Impala the module itself could very well be the issue. It may be a wire or, a short or something mine does it so intermittently that it’s just weird. I don’t get it unfortunately with my car being so new that bypass system won’t work on my particular car. Once, I have some money I seriously have to get this issue looked into and, get it fixed once and for all. It’s really getting to be a pain even though it doesn’t do it all the time it’s still something I DON’T want to deal with. I could kick myself for buying a car this new at times. From what I’ve read so many of these newer GM cars have the SAME exact issue. Very disheartening and frustrating at the same time. Once, again thank you for your input and, for sharing your experience with me.
Old September 16th, 2019, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

what if the "security " light doesn't go off? And this technique along with all the others doesn't work?
Old September 17th, 2019, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default security module

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed99
what if the "security " light doesn't go off? And this technique along with all the others doesn't work?
Then I don't know what to tell you... That would be when I find someone with a really good scanner, someone like a "tuner" maybe? See if they can find a solution.

Drag
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

12/3 I had the anti theft sign come on but after a day of jumping the car twice the anti theft sign turned off and is currently saying track system and power steering and acting odd. The car would turn back on if I turned it off from a jump but would not turn on after a few hours and I went to get it tested came back at 13 volts sitting and 14.7 charging 12/4 the next day after a jump it will not turn back on if I turn the car off and the volts on my dash is telling me 8.7 most 9v and 14.7 when I jump it and is charging... is the battery dying or is the alternator messing up?????.... I currently have a 2014 Chevy Cruze 78k miles still has the first battery ... I am going to try the 3-10 minute method but I have two keys for my car I don’t see why both won’t work plz help
Old January 12th, 2020, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 chevy silverado

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I apologize for this! If you need any additional assistance into the dealership, please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and a preferred dealership!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
I disconnected the battery of my 2007 chevy silverado now it wont start , don’t have any dash lights , blinkers , locks, or windows don’t work at all!!! I checked all fuses they all work .. any ideas thanks .

Last edited by J Che Herndez; January 12th, 2020 at 3:04 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 impala had it jump started after battery failure drove home and nest day installed a new battery but car wouldnt start recognize fobs no radio all kinds of codes tried everything nothing worked read a article about a similar occurence with push button start like i have and passive entry great when it works. The article said to remove both positive and negative terminals and touch them together for a minute i did hooked back up horn started beeping hit lock button to stop horn got in car and it started right up no codes of issues of any kind this was 3 days ago still running like new one, hope this helps.
Old February 3rd, 2020, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

I realized this: happened to me when it was rainy weather and hit the gas hardish. Car just stopped at ~60mph dead, no torn-on whatever I did. Got toed back to my house. I disconnected the induction coil, had it a bit heated by using hair-dryer just around the pins, added some induction-spray and set it right in. Car did not start in first, so I opened all doors, one-by-one, closed them as I opened them, rolled down all windows one-by-one, closed them back. I put my spare key in the ignition and bang! Started working just as nothing happened....second key good. All theft sign in the dashboard gone... not sure exactly what worked, but sure something did.

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery