Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

"Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2020, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 manual cruze having issues

Originally Posted by drewmelvin
This car (2012 Chevy Cruze Eco) is so frustrating. Had to pay $120 just for dealer to look at it. Before I called the truck I tried disconnecting the battery for a half hour. I tried waiting out the warning light as another contributor suggested. No luck. So it's at the dealer now and I'm without a car. This should be covered or a recall. Nearly everyone who has this car has this issue at some point it seems.
Having a similar issue with that. Had issues with a recall due to negative battery cable and have it replaced twice and the car locks itself even when the car is on, had to call a tow company who arrived after 2 hours once to get into my running vehicle, once it locked when the car was on during the summer and my 2 young children got locked into the car. Now I'm trying to start the vehicle and it's not turning over at all probably due to the anti lock.

My key fob would also somehow keep pressing the lock and panicked buttons so had to take out the battery. Now that the battery is out
Old March 7th, 2020, 9:10 PM
Cmp
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Frustrated with newer model cars

My 2014 Malibu wouldn't crank Monday evening. It locked while I was inside and open the door to get out the alarm start going off which has happened many times before, and I usually turn the switch on and it stop but thus time it wouldn't and the alarm started sounding deeper and muzzled. It finally turned off and I googled and tried the 10 min thing but the light wasn't blinking like it was Monday, but the battery light came on while I was doing it so I figured I needed a battery. So this morning I tried to jump it off and it still wouldn't crank, and now the dash or radio won't work, but the reading light still was coming on. Please help.
Old June 18th, 2020, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

Same here with my 2014 Impala. New battery 18 months ago and it's been downhill from there. Theft Deterrent System wants to be serviced. Took it to dealer repeatedly (and I mean four or five times) when the extended warranty was still in effect. Reprogrammed (not covered so out of pocket), put in new radio, charged battery, did the windows up and down thing as directed by error messages on dash. Dealer can't (won't?) do a thing about it because no error message is held in the memory. For a college student getting to work and school, this is unacceptable. It is acting as though possessed: un-programming radio stations, changing A/C temp controls, screen going blank, won't start (won't even turn over), n oheat/defrost int eh dead of winter, and other symptoms, and all at random times and in random conditions so no pattern can be identified. I am not a happy camper. I'm even more upset knowing that this happens on all sorts of Chevy products and there is no solution. We have been loyal Chevy buyers for decades. (Three Impalas, two pick-ups, one Camaro, two Suburbans, one Trailblazer) This pattern is going to change if Chevy doesn't step up and treat its customers properly by fixing it right the first time.
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Help with theft deterrent system on a 2015 camaro

Started my 2015 lt1 camaro with remote start, put key in ignition turned to on and it shut off with the message service theft deterrent system, will not start any ideas?
Old September 23rd, 2020, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Posible Solution

The third dealer finally figured out what it was for my 2014 Impala and it is fixed! The blind-spot detection modules corroded and were shorting out the entire electrical system causing theft deterrent errors, no starting, locking on its own, changing radio stations, and other oddities. This is the fourth time they have been replaced for which I have receipts. There may have been a fifth time for which I have misplaced the documentation. Before we had it fixed, we found that removing the battery cable for a minute and then hooking it back up reset the system and it would start. Inconvenient but at least it was a temporary solution so we weren't stranded.
Old November 13th, 2020, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default "Service theft deterrent"

My 2015 silverado has been having the same issues for almost a year. Replaced battery, cables and fuse block. Still issues. Finally lost all power making a right turn. Had a car been in the on coming lane i would of hit them.. Had it in the shop 4 times already. Going back in, in 3 days. Afraid to drive it. Already spent about $1500. Annoying gm hasn't had a recall on this yet.
Old November 26th, 2020, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2002 tahoe ls 5.3

I'm having same problem my security light blinks after the key cylinder was broken. we cut all 3 the ignition switch wires and tried the 10min reset computer hack but only thing that happened was theft light stoped and now a reduced engine power light turned on. please any kind of advice will help i have watch so many videos and read many articles im lost.

Last edited by elvastar; November 26th, 2020 at 1:07 AM.
Old December 26th, 2020, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Hi
I am adding my issue on your message before I cannot start a new post.
I have a Chevrolet Cruze 2014 model with 92000 miles on it.
It doesn't start and it gives me every single message on the console.
The battery and Alternator was replaced on March 2019 so they are fairly new.
So far i replaced twice the PVC valves and the Cooling system.
This is a new issue.
The temperature here in TN dropped to 24 F so perhaps that is an issue as well.
I have a dash cam installed by best buy technician directly to the battery for the parking mode...perhaps that also could be draining the battery.
I am getting the car to Firestone today to have a Diagnostic and get fix.
The car is Second hand bought it at Carmax and is been not the best reliable car.
Any help is welcome.
I will post back in here if the car get fixed on what was the issue so I can help.
Regards
Old December 27th, 2020, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo with brand new engine installed by dealership!

My 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo 4dr rear wheel drive just had the engine replaced and started having this issue. I called dealership as I only have 3,000 miles on my new $9,0000 engine! The dealership said to replace battery and after $300, it seems to of done nothing and the dealership is damn near worthless on helping even though it's been under warranty! It keeps doing like everyone else has said above though. All dealership's do not open till Monday morning and I've been dealing with this BS over the Christmas Holiday. I'm fed up and something will be resolved or I'm seeking legal advice against GM. Meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental, new car, and legal fees and will be forced to seek restitution from GM legally. This behavior from their electronic programers and the products they choose to install in the vehicle as OEM has been an issue for MANY people to where it is a repeatable pattern that GM chooses not to fix.
Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it in only the 4-5 months I've owned it. This ATS has become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. It's been over the whole Christmas holiday and covid-19 requirements, I dont need or think a car I put $18,000 cash down for should cause so much extra stress. I highly doubt a judge would disagree.
Can you help me on how GM can resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future by other than me switching to a dif car and seeking restitution from GM?
I await your response diligently. Thank you for your time and assistance, Matt Gurule.
Old December 27th, 2020, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo with brand new engine installed by dealership!

My 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo 4dr rear wheel drive just had the engine replaced and started having this issue. I called dealership as I only have 3,000 miles on my new $9,0000 engine! The dealership said to replace battery and after $300, it seems to of done nothing and the dealership is damn near worthless on helping even though it's been under warranty! It keeps doing like everyone else has said above though. All dealership's do not open till Monday morning and I've been dealing with this BS over the Christmas Holiday. I'm fed up and something will be resolved or I'm seeking legal advice against GM. Meaning I'll be coming out of pocket for a rental, new car, and legal fees and will be forced to seek restitution from GM legally. This behavior from their electronic programers and the products they choose to install in the vehicle as OEM has been an issue for MANY people to where it is a repeatable pattern that GM chooses not to fix.
Between the recalls and random but very inconvenient mishaps with this car despite the upkeep I maintain with it in only the 4-5 months I've owned it. This ATS has become a huge liability financially and to my peace of mind. It's been over the whole Christmas holiday and covid-19 requirements, I dont need or think a car I put $18,000 cash down for should cause so much extra stress. I highly doubt a judge would disagree.
Can you help me on how GM can resolve this and prevent this from happening in the future by other than me switching to a dif car and seeking restitution from GM?
I await your response diligently. Thank you for your time and assistance, Matt Gurule.

Quick Reply: "Service Theft Deterrent System" Vehicle won't start - new battery