Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Silverado 04 gouges inside driver side rim

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2015, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado 04 gouges inside driver side rim

I recently bought an 04 Silverado 4x4 extended cab
It is in mostly good shape. A little high mileage (200k) but well maintained by previous owners.

Firstly the driver side wheel bearing and the idler arm were replaced directly before purchasing the vehicle. It drives well, and made no unusual noises for the first few weeks. It needs brake pads, but that I've already confirmed myself.

In the last few days I've started to notice a grinding noise that gets progressively worse as the wheel is turned to the left. Once the wheel is turned the way to the left it will make a clunking sound and feel. None of this happens when turning to the right. It can also be heard when traveling straight ahead at less than 25-30 mph. I don't hear it when moving faster but that may be engine or road or wind noise drowning it out so it's hard to tell.

As days go by, the sound is getting louder and making me more and more nervous about driving it. So I parked it, spun the wheel all the way left and crawled my butt behind the wheel to take a look. Only to find something has been grinding large gouges into the inside of the rim. When sitting still nothing appears to be resting or touching against the inside of the rim.

I'm not sure if this is normal, but the driver side caliper is mounted on the backside of the rotor, while the passenger side is mounted on the front side of it's rotor. Is this normal on Chevy trucks?

Forgive me if I sound stupid or inexperienced in the matter. This is my first truck and I have only ever worked on my own cars before never owning a truck until now.

It is however my only vehicle so I have no choice but drive the truck. I've attempted google searches to look at possible problems but my efforts have been fruitless.

Could someone please give me some ideas about what could be causing this?

EDIT; I recently had the truck aligned and it was waaaay out of whacked from the idler arm replacement. I didn't have the sound before realignment but it did take over a week for the sound to appear after taking it in to be aligned.

Last edited by Zenopsy; November 3rd, 2015 at 3:51 PM.