Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Simultaneous Stall/Electrical Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2022, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Chevy C1500 Simultaneous Stall/Electrical Malfunction

I have a 1994 stepside Chevy C1500, 5.7 L V8 engine, 2WD.

This past week, my truck has started acting up. Within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, after being at a complete stop at a light or a stop sign, when trying to accelerate, the truck engine along with the inside electrical system dies. Sometimes it’s a barely noticeable skip but sometimes it shuts off enough for the radio to completely turn off and back on again. As far as I can tell, the dash lights, AC control panel, and radio all turn off as well as the engine but for less than a second. This has happened pretty consistently for the past week, but it only happens once or twice within the first 10 or so minutes of driving which makes me think it has something to do with the truck warming up.

For the first time today, the speedometer dipped by 20 mph for a second before jumping back up to normal and then a few seconds later, the truck revved up by about 1000 rpms before dropping back down after a second.

I’m at a complete loss as to the issue. I’ve checked battery connections and alternator connections. Everything appears fine to me. Does anyone have any guesses?

I know that I need to replace the idle air control valve which is on my list of things to do, but I don’t think that’s the issue because I can’t imagine how that would be affecting the electrical components.

Last edited by mmm98; May 1st, 2022 at 8:55 AM. Reason: clarification
Old April 30th, 2022, 11:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

You'd be surprised by the junk parts we get from MX and Asia these days. Can you find anyone with an OBD I code reader? I don't think most part stores have them anymore.
Old May 1st, 2022, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm98
I have a 1994 stepside Chevy C1500, 5.7 L V8 engine, 2WD.

This past week, my truck has started acting up. Within the first 5-10 minutes of driving, after being at a complete stop at a light or a stop sign, when trying to accelerate, the truck engine along with the inside electrical system dies. Sometimes it’s a barely noticeable skip but sometimes it shuts off enough for the radio to completely turn off and back on again. As far as I can tell, the dash lights, AC control panel, and radio all turn off as well as the engine but for less than a second. This has happened pretty consistently for the past week, but it only happens once or twice within the first 10 or so minutes of driving which makes me think it has something to do with the truck warming up.

For the first time today, the speedometer dipped by 20 mph for a second before jumping back up to normal and then a few seconds later, the truck revved up by about 1000 rpms before dropping back down after a second.

I’m at a complete loss as to the issue. I’ve checked battery connections and alternator connections. Everything appears fine to me. Does anyone have any guesses?

I know that I need to replace the idle air control valve which is on my list of things to do, but I don’t think that’s the issue because I can’t imagine how that would be affecting the electrical components.
Look up ground wire locations on your truck. You have a crusty rusty ground wire somewhere. Do you live on a gravel, dirt or pothole filled road?