Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Slow starting Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow starting Suburban

I have a 1998 Suburban 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 liter engine and an automatic transmission. For several weeks now, it starts badly. When I turn the key, it turns over very slowly like the starter's dragging, but if I keep it turned for a few seconds it will begin to turn quickly like it should and then start. We checked and replaced what turned out to be a bad battery. When we tried to start it the starter would get very hot, so we pulled it down this morning and the large contact on the solenoid was literally broken out of the housing and I replaced that. It started fine the first time or two and is now back to its old tricks exactly as it had been doing. Any ideas?
Old May 30th, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe bad connection at battery, at starter, or ground connections.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi lightnindan,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

Oh yeah.Battery cables. They're corroded from the inside. They'll continue to eat starters, batteries, and alternators as long as you will let them. And your mechanic will lllllooooovvveee you. Don't forget that engine-to-firewall groundstrap.
Old June 1st, 2010, 7:50 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I third that notion of checking the cables esp if you do any off roading that would get water up under the vehicle... the cable will indeed look fine from the outside but can corrode and get high in resistance.

next check the battery condition(which you did) as well as having the alt load checked..