Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

95 Suburban Starts slow/rough at times TBI is wet

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2015, 8:23 PM
WUG
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Suburban Starts slow/rough at times TBI is wet

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you an offer. Sorry for the long post but wanted to try to be thorough. I have a couple (hopefully) smaller issues. I have yet to put a code reader on the truck doing so this week. A couple months ago I suddenly started having to let my foot off the gas a bit to shift into 2nd gear. No hard shifts, truck drives and shifts normally otherwise. Seems to shift by itself normally into 2nd until the truck warms up a bit. Hoping its just the TPS ($47 part) but haven't gotten around to buying one or testing yet. My newest issue is a delay in firing up and running rough for the first couple of minutes and at times it turns over fine, wants to start but chokes out and won't go. I sprayed Quick Start into the TB and after a minute or two it fired up, had to do this a few times now. Mostly when real cold but at only -6 the other day had to spray more fluid into the TB. I did notice some yellowish residue over most of the top guts of the TB (Injectors...). I am thinking it may need an Engine temp control/coolant temp sensor as well, but am not convinced its just that. What are the chances it could be the MAF or MAP? Maybe a combination of those parts? Something new that may be related to either of my issues here that I have also noticed over the last week is that at steady highway speed the engine/throttle will surge slightly. You can see and here the rpms increase ever so slightly for a brief second and it continues to do this ever 3-4 seconds while keeping your foot steady on the gas, let off the gas slightly and under no demand for throttle and the surge disappears.

One thing I have noticed when I do have these rough start issues where I am turning the key for longer than usual and the truck is trying to cough to life, is a bit of fluid, which I am assuming is fuel, spits onto the driver side exhaust manifold closest to the firewall. I am going to try to pull a plug on each side of the engine to maybe eliminate a possible injector issue.

Here's the "catch". I really do not want to spend much on the truck as I am getting a replacement in 4-6 weeks or so and I'm selling as is, but I do need it to start and drive normally for the buyers that are interested (approx. 5 people interested). I have not replaced the Cap & rotor or plugs/wires in some time but again not interested in spending $200-$300 or so on this at all. I have gotten by with just the necessary repairs over the last 3 years and they haven't been much so I am afraid preventative and regular maintenance aside from oil, lube and filters have been neglected. its been a good truck and fairly reliable until recent months. The truck had no starting or idling issues at all in warm weather this past summer and fall.

THANKS very much for any input

Bill