Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

sludge

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2020, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sludge

hi so i just bought a 1951 deluxe 2 door sedan with a 216 and a 3 speed on the tree.
i dont think the old girl has ran in at least 20 years but with a fresh 6 volt battery and after some marvel mystery oil soaking in the plug holes, a little gas in the carb, she kicked and ran for about 30 seconds.
my next plan was to drain the oil. when i pulled the plug, nothing came out. i should say that i had checked the oil before trying to start it and it was old, but seemed pretty clean.
so when i pulled the plug and nothing came out, i was surprised because the dip stick showed full. i then took a stick and poked a hole in the sludge and oil drained out. i even jacked up the front and let it drain over night. not sure if its 5 qts that came out but it could be.

my question is should i drop the pan and see whats going on or just refill it run it and drain it again? i've heard of people running gas down the dipstick hole and letting it set then draining that and refilling with oil. any ideas on that?

so if i need to drop the pan, is there a "easy" way to do it? i've read that there are 2 bolts that can drop the front subframe but i'm not sure where those bolts are. or is it better to lift the motor?

i'm not looking forward to doing either as i'm not sure how good the engine is. clock says 55,000 miles but who knows. i guess my worry is if there is that amount of sludge will the pickup tube be clogged? the oil i drained was smooth and not lumpy.
new to this forum and looking forward to hear any advice. thanks
Old July 16th, 2020, 4:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by doobie123
hi so i just bought a 1951 deluxe 2 door sedan with a 216 and a 3 speed on the tree.
i dont think the old girl has ran in at least 20 years but with a fresh 6 volt battery and after some marvel mystery oil soaking in the plug holes, a little gas in the carb, she kicked and ran for about 30 seconds.
my next plan was to drain the oil. when i pulled the plug, nothing came out. i should say that i had checked the oil before trying to start it and it was old, but seemed pretty clean.
so when i pulled the plug and nothing came out, i was surprised because the dip stick showed full. i then took a stick and poked a hole in the sludge and oil drained out. i even jacked up the front and let it drain over night. not sure if its 5 qts that came out but it could be.

my question is should i drop the pan and see whats going on or just refill it run it and drain it again? i've heard of people running gas down the dipstick hole and letting it set then draining that and refilling with oil. any ideas on that?

so if i need to drop the pan, is there a "easy" way to do it? i've read that there are 2 bolts that can drop the front subframe but i'm not sure where those bolts are. or is it better to lift the motor?

i'm not looking forward to doing either as i'm not sure how good the engine is. clock says 55,000 miles but who knows. i guess my worry is if there is that amount of sludge will the pickup tube be clogged? the oil i drained was smooth and not lumpy.
A 265?, it should be easy to drop the oil pan, and go from there, imo.
Old July 17th, 2020, 10:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by doobie123

If the pan is slugged up, you might have more sludge in the engine. I suppose the gasoline in the oil fill might help, but you'll need to add a quart of sludge remover to the
new oil. Carb night be gummed up as well too sitting there with the gasoline evaporating away.