Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

smokes after new head gasket

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2010, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i asked for was his hoe.... and u want all kinds of stuff
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it fixed man!!
Old March 8th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
Glad you got it fixed man!!
me too hoss. this thing goin cross country soon, i ain't needin it to fail. plus, mama and jr. can get around now without waitin fer me.
Old February 7th, 2012, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having about the same problem as he was, with the sweet (coolant-ish) smell commin from the exhaust. i did both heads, as i replaced them AND had the replacements checked right out of the box, just to be sure as theres a lotta money in this vortec 383 stroker. cleaned the entire engine out, intake, lifters, etc. put it all back together exactly as per chevy instructions. fired up had a heavy miss/stumble to it. checked the distributor, one tooth off. fixed that, runs PERFECT now. however, even after 15-20 mins of running it, it continues to belch what i think to be an EXTREME amount of that sweet tasting/smelling whitish smoke. this scares me a LOT because i just put over 500 into this damn top end, and the only reason i did it is because be4 i had oil/coolant mixing. the machine shop swears the heads were perfect even did a 3 way valve grind for me. what the hell could have gone wrong? i understand you guys are all saying it could take a few hours to fully go away, however as a certified mechanic and having done hundreds of head gaskets in my time, ive never ever ever seen one smoke this bad this long. but what throws me is it doesnt miss a beat. you would think if its bellowing THAT much smoke it should be causing misfires in whatever cylinder(s) are sucking in coolant, right? help me please as its my dads truck and i cant dare tell him yea sorry i tried.
Old March 1st, 2017, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke after new heads

I put new heads on my 94 zr2 4.3. They were all torqued to specs and in the right sequence what could be the problem