Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Spark Plug Defouler 2011 Chevy Silverado

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2021, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spark Plug Defouler 2011 Chevy Silverado

I, unfortunately, just learned that I have oil leaking into one of my pistons. Which, in turn is fouling my spark plug. I was told that I could just swap that plug out whenever the truck started driving poorly, or I could rebuild or buy a new engine. For now, my plan is to replace the plug. My question is this, I was told that I could get a spark plug defouler and that would remedy the issue, other than causing a bit of smoke. The problem is, I can't seem to find one that fits my 2011 4wd Crew cab 5.3 Chevy Silverado. Has anybody else found a solution for this? Any help would be appreciated it.
Old January 10th, 2021, 7:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

How much oil are you losing? How much are you adding and how often? If it's not too bad you can try a hotter plug. You really need to fix the problem because it will get worse. You might just need a valve job and not a new engine.
Old January 10th, 2021, 8:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't know if you would call it a defouler, but from what I recall, it was just a threaded extension that placed the plug a little higher in the combustion chamber and that helped keep the deposits to a lower level.
As you know this is a temporary measure and the real cause should be determined and if possible ($$ included),,should be corrected. There are a few reasons for oil fouling to be limited to one cyl and the cost to repair may not be as high as you think.
Old January 10th, 2021, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default risers

I was told by my mechanic that it has something to do with a poor design by GM engines for the years 08-11. Some sort of fuel management system that involved using risers on the pistons to save fuel. I am by no means an expert, but seems to be a general consensus that either the engine would have to be rebuilt or replaced. And yes, I understand that the problem will eventually get worse, but my current financial situation ( building a house), will not allow me to purchase a new vehicle. The extension, defouler, etc seems to be a good part time fix until I am able to get into a new vehicle. It's a shame too, because otherwise, I've kept the truck in great shape. Only 115k miles too :/