Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

splicing rotted fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2015, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default splicing rotted fuel lines

Hey guys. I've got to replace the fuel lines along the frame rail on my K1500 Suburban (1999) and was wondering if it's done just like brake lines with flare connections. This appears to be the only bad section and I don't want to buy the expensive replacement line kits. I have a flaring tool and am quite comfortable splicing out bad sections. Just appears i'll need 3/8 for supply and 5/16 for return. What do ya'll think
Old June 26th, 2015, 7:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel filter has flared ends that connect to the lines you should be able to do it.
Old June 27th, 2015, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Richardx2
The fuel filter has flared ends that connect to the lines you should be able to do it.
Thanks
Old June 27th, 2015, 8:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, once I have a Fuel Line problem, I mistrust all of it.
I've bought proper Flexible Fuel Line of sufficient length (usually about 20) and circular clamps. Then cut the metal line just outside the tank, and at the nearest point at the engine. Routed the flex through the frame (using the additional length) avoiding areas where the metal line came close to a high heat source. Then just slipped the flex over the ends and tightened it up.

No rattles, no rust.
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

flexible fuel hose is a perfectly acceptable method, cheap and easy to install. the supply pressure is low and the hose can handle this pressure with no problem. buy the proper fuel system hose clamp. Some people like to put a small flare in the cut off metal line to help with retention when using hose clamps.

Another option I have been introduced to is plastic fuel hose. It is inexpensive, connects with compression fittings and will never rust or rot. If you need to introduce a special quick connect, ends are readily available at
napa. I typically only use this method for complete front to rear line replacement.

I do not use metal tubing anymore for low pressure applications; it takes to much time to install. Like brake lines; put bends in the lines, never run straight lines.

Last edited by tech2; June 27th, 2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old June 29th, 2015, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

I used the brake line repair kit to replace deteriorating fuel lines at both ends by the fuel filter on my 1997 Suburban. Cured the problem and fuel filter was replaced several times later without problem. Still good 50,000 miles later.