Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter...

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter...

So I know its not hard what so ever to take a starter off, but I have a 92 Silverado, and i got the bottom bolt off, but I can't get the top one off, there is pretty much no room to move around it. I need help ASAP because I'm dropping my tranny and I'm at a stand still now because of a stater.
How can i get this bolt off???
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say bottom and top, what do you mean? The bolts should be more "left and right". You are removing the two bolts that run vertical from the starter up into the block, right?

Usually, the transmission cooler lines and the exhaust manifold flange will interfere a little with your ratchet. But you should be able to use a long extension with a shallow socket, and carefully push the tranny cooler lines to the side. The exhaust flange may still interfere just a bit if you aren't using a wobble socket or a universal joint.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi 2wdnoob,

Welcome to the wild world of frozen bolts. Patience and persistence are key.

You may want to support the starter and take any weight pressure off the last bolt. It may also help to run the other bolt back in, remove the stuck bolt, then remove the other bolt last.

Gently tap the starter body at the extreme end of the starter with a rubber mallet, it may help slightly reposition the starter and jog the bolt loose.

The problem with using Blaster or liquid wrench on this starter hole is you must thoroughly clean the bolt loosener out before you bolt the starter back up.(brake cleaner and Q-tips help clean up the threads) Otherwise the bolts which were such a PITA to remove during the repair may
wind up backing themselves out while you're driving sometime.