Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starter question

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2014, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter question

Ok, so I need some help. My son's 1994 Caprice 4.3L starts every now and then.

Starter was taken off today and tested at Advance, so we know that's good. He had the battery tested last night and it shows 10.6 volts, says they thing a cell is dead, so potentially the battery could need replaced.

Here's what it's doing.........Sometimes it will start, but mostly when trying to start the starter just kicks out and won't turn. But, if I use a screwdriver to start it, it works.

Anyone have thoughts on what it might be? When trying to start, because the battery may have a dead cell, I was jumping it, so I would think that there would be enough power to work the starter.

Thanks for your help!!
Old September 14th, 2014, 9:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe a dead cell charge it and check again: chargers are cheap at sears now. if it's an old batt. very possible charge won't hold long and replace anyhow.

well there are many google articles on rebuilding simple starters. some have parts not meant for you to be able to service (ie, some have integrated voltage regulators/non-replaceable)

obviously do not go ahead until you have a steady power supply, clean terminals, well grounded alternator, etc

i'm unsure what you mean use a screwdriver. what on gear teeth? i wouldn't sounds too close to breaking stuff. i heard of using a hammer to tap alternator!

well ok. one slight possible. you said it was tested but i don't trust the test for the money. but if it it couldn't turn over and "you think it was trying" it's possible the flywheel was too hard to turn (ie, fluid lock, fuel pressure regulator dumping). but you said no.

all there is left is key, fuse, and relay i'd think