Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2010, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

<table id="post529841" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_529841" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(209, 209, 225);"> The other day I was low on gas (almost if not on the red line) and I parked on the angle that makes my tank go even lower, it was a pretty steep hill. I went into my friends house for about 10 min we hopped in my car after and as I turned the key it wouldnt start just make a sound like it wants to. I tried a bunch of times but couldnt get it to fire up. I slipped it into neutral and pushed my car facing the opposite way on the hill, boosted it and it seemed to be ok. I went to the gas station filled up and when I tried to turn it back on it did the same thing (the gas station was only 4 blocks), I got the car boosted again drove it for awhile and then it worked fine and I thought that was the end of it. This morning about 2 days after it did the same thing but after the first time it didnt work I pumped the gas as I tried to turn the key and it started fine and now it seems to be ok again... I dont want my car to fail on me when I need it so I am wondering if there is something I should do to avoid this problem again, the sound when trying to start wasnt a constant sound it was more of a single strong attempt to start my car then weaker attempts... if that makes sense....
<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225);"> <script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register("529841")</script> </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> </td></tr></tbody></table>
Old August 26th, 2010, 3:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey mikey the 613,

How are you doing ?

How about a Year/Make/Model/Mileage, if you want us to try to help you bench troubleshoot today?
Old August 26th, 2010, 8:25 AM
CF Junior Member

So sorry, it is a 3.8 Chevy Lumina 1998 Sedan no the van. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump doing its thing, I think.

Its usually after I leave it for awhile, if I am driving then turn it off it will turn on no problem
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:10 AM
CF Junior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oEy_XnfnT4
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:27 AM
Super Moderator

My GF had the Lumina Van before she got her Silverado.

It was a very comfortable ride,(I'm 6' 2", pushing 270LB)great on gas, never a minute's trouble.

How's the gas filter and tune up? Some times if it needs a tune up and filters it will be balky when it's cold.
Old August 26th, 2010, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

I havnt changed the filter in years or did a tune up, but I just put a ****load of money into it. is the fuel filter hard to change? Could I do it myself?
Old August 27th, 2010, 7:25 AM
Super Moderator

Yo,help me out here. Is the airbag deployed in that video?
Old August 27th, 2010, 7:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Lol no what makes you think that? Heres a bit more info.

Since the first time it happened it worked fine for awhile, after that if I left it for awhile without starting the same problem would occur but after I let it run soon as i turned it off i could turn it back on with no problems. Yesterday I go into a store to get some food come out and I cant start my car, again it tried to turn over but seems like it doesnt have enough power after trying a few times I gave up and got my buddy to come boost me, after letting the battery sit for awhile with my buddies connected to it started... its making me think its the battery but some people say its not from the video i made. Maybe i will make another one. Oh also that same day I went to work forgot my light was on (the switch) and went to work, it probably stays on for about 20-40 min when the switch is on then when I get back from work (8 hours) i started it with almost no hesitation. So bizarre...
Old August 27th, 2010, 8:42 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I think I would verify the fuel pressure at several different times to eliminate a fuel pump issue.... running a few bottles of fuel treatment/injector cleaner may also help....
Old August 27th, 2010, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey in2pro, I am not sure how to check the fuel pressure is there a certain tool?

Also

<table id="post530637" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_530637" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(209, 209, 225);"> I woke up this morning got in my car, turned my AUX power on then waited for the pump to stop making that noise it makes. Then started the car with minimum resistance, then I go to the gas station about a 1.5 km away and when i get back in, it wont start. Then I tried again pumping the gas and it started no problem. I dont remember waiting for the pump so for now on thats what I am going to do and see if that works for now...

<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225);"> <script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register("530637")</script> </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Quick Reply: Starting Problems