Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

suspension

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2007, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension

any help would be appreciated!! on my 98 k1500 i have a popping noise coming from the left front suspension area when i back out of my driveway or a parking spot, sometimes i will also hear thenoise under the driver seat any input would be great.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: suspension

If its from the left front suspsension i would be checking out the balljoints for a torn boot. If its torn its probably gotten dirt in there and its chaffing and wearing out causing the joint to stick and pop.

If thats the problem either take it in to get them serviced at an allignment shop or you pick them up at your local parts house. I will let ya know that if ya do it yourself you will need either an air chisel or a regular chisel and a sledge hammer to separate the old one as its riveted in. You can try drilling it too but its not as easy to do. The new ones are held in the stock rivet locations with bolts but get some locktite on em or the bolts will back out.

Now if its not the ball joints (if the rubber boots are not torn) just check over all your front suspension parts at all the linkages and at the control arm bushings and make sure nothing looks worn or coming apart. Wiggle things if ya have to, to find anything thats binding. Also while under there take a grease gun with ya and at any point that you see a grease fitting go ahead and top off the the grease in there until the rubber boot that it fills is firm. This will help keep everything lubed up and prevent any further tearing of boots on other joints. As a general rule of thumb you should grease everything when you do an oil change but if you havent done so or cant remember if its been done, its really easy to do and its cheap maintenance.

Let me know how this turns out for ya and if ya got any questionsjust ask.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: suspension

check your front sway bar links