Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tail light problem. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light problem. NEED HELP

I have a 99 silverado and my driver side rear running light will not work. The brake light works just fine. I have checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash. I had a spare circuit board that I replaced under the bed and that didn't help any. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old April 4th, 2011, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if that year has a bulb or LED. I'm still driving my old 1990. :-)

If it has a bulb, and the bulb is not burned out, try coating the contacts with dielectric grease that can be picked up at any auto parts store. I once had a similar problem that wouldn't go away. This simple fix worked for me and has continued to for years.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a 1990 as well with the same problem.

For my truck, it is about rotating the bulb in the socket as you install it. If I rotate it just a hair, the light won't work.

Every now and then again I hit a bump, when I want to turn left....thee blinker goes hay wire (turn signal not working in the back or front). Hit another bump, it starts to work normally again.

Unless it stops working all together...I don't pay it much attention, drive the wife nuts though!
Old April 24th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Test it

Take a test light and see if you got power to it with lights on if not its a wiring issue.
Old December 10th, 2013, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

I have a similar issue…. Did you ever get yours fixed?

I was trying to upgrade my tail/brake light to LEDs. After working with it, I noticed that the light I was working with (driver side) was not working. The blinker and back up work fine. But the tail/brake light doesn't. The right (passenger side) and everything else is fine. I have put back the standard light and made sure it was ok, but nothing! Like I blew a fuse, but I would not think a blown fuse would take out just one light?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..... also, I’m new to this (posting in a forum) so please forgive me if I’m posting this is the wrong area
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try the grease.

Try the dielectric grease before doing anything extensive.
Old December 12th, 2013, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. I would not have thought this, but as it turns out the tail lights run on different fuses. The tail light as well as the licenses plate light. I changed the fuse and all is back. Also, for those that don’t know, but I’m sure most do; the right side is the passenger side.