Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Technical questions about SBC build

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2021, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Technical questions about SBC build

I've got a '62 truck that I've been working on and while it's apart I'm going swap a 350 in for the 283 it currently has. I found a TBI 350 a few weeks ago that had all the accessories along with a TH400 trans, and I went ahead and picked it all up. The casting number on the block is 10243880, and while I haven't had it completely apart I can tell that its one of the roller blocks that wasn't fully machined for a roller setup and currently has a flat tappet cam in it. I'll be converting it to run on a carb instead of TBI, and since I need an intake I want to go ahead and get a full top end package that has heads and a cam, as well. If I'm sticking with a hydraulic flat tappet cam, can I use any cam/head/intake combo for an SBC 350 from any year, or do I need to look specifically for post-87 parts?
Old February 4th, 2021, 2:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC swapper
I've got a '62 truck that I've been working on and while it's apart I'm going swap a 350 in for the 283 it currently has. I found a TBI 350 a few weeks ago that had all the accessories along with a TH400 trans, and I went ahead and picked it all up. The casting number on the block is 10243880, and while I haven't had it completely apart I can tell that its one of the roller blocks that wasn't fully machined for a roller setup and currently has a flat tappet cam in it. I'll be converting it to run on a carb instead of TBI, and since I need an intake I want to go ahead and get a full top end package that has heads and a cam, as well. If I'm sticking with a hydraulic flat tappet cam, can I use any cam/head/intake combo for an SBC 350 from any year, or do I need to look specifically for post-87 parts?
With a 1962 Chevy you would almost have to have a mechanical/cable link to the carb. You MUST determine if it is flat tappet or roller cam, before you proceed.
Old February 4th, 2021, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
With a 1962 Chevy you would almost have to have a mechanical/cable link to the carb. You MUST determine if it is flat tappet or roller cam, before you proceed.
It's definitely flat tappet. I pulled the intake last night to double check.
Old February 8th, 2021, 12:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC swapper
It's definitely flat tappet. I pulled the intake last night to double check.
Your casting block number matches up with a 1995-2000 GM motor.
Old February 8th, 2021, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Your casting block number matches up with a 1995-2000 GM motor.
I came to that conclusion, as well. However, since its a bit of an in-betweener (roller block but not fully machined for roller gear), I think I'm going to sell it and try to find a true roller engine.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (February 8th, 2021)