Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Th350 trans cover bolt hex broke off

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2013, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th350 trans cover bolt hex broke off

I was torquing my trans pan the hex nut broke off. I drilled a hole in the nut,put a retracting bit in, and that stapped off. I have tried everything.
Drilling around the bit, heat, beating on it. Now the problem it is still not out, and the original hole is bigger. What can I do? I have seen other forums that guys had the same problem followed there advice and now it I am in bigger trouble. Please if anyone can help, I could use it. I dont want to buy a new tranny, plus I dont have the money. Thanks Phil
Old August 27th, 2013, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By you saying "put a retracting bit in" im guessing you mean using an easy out or something of that nature? I had a nasty bolt do the same thing awhile back, I did get it out by JB welding a smaller bolt to the broken bolt allowing plenty of time to cure and then backed the bolt out. I would advise to make sure not to get any JB weld on the threads of the broken bolt or the threads of the transmission as this would make getting it out even harder.

Other than that you could always drill the whole bolt out all together and rethread the now bigger hole.

Good luck