Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Ticking noise Suburban/Yukon XL 364 6.0l V8

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2019, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise Suburban/Yukon XL 364 6.0l V8

Hi

Recently bought a 2001 Chevrolet suburban with 364 6.0l engine. The car has around 150 000 miles to it. It has a ticking noise at startup. This goes away when warm at idle. But it appears around 1500-2500 rpm or under some load when driving. There are no error message or bad symptoms on the engine. It runs great and oil pressure is excelent. The sound is annoying me, I would like to get it fixed, but dose anyone have a clue what this can be? I noticed a faint of exhaust from the engine room, so I was thinking about a exhaustleak, but my father inlaw suspected a "short" pushrod because of the "mechanic sound". So again, any clue where to start? I got the car real cheap because of this noise...

Sorry about my english. Im Norwegian.
Old January 21st, 2019, 6:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Metro
Hi

Recently bought a 2001 Chevrolet suburban with 364 6.0l engine. The car has around 150 000 miles to it. It has a ticking noise at startup. This goes away when warm at idle. But it appears around 1500-2500 rpm or under some load when driving. There are no error message or bad symptoms on the engine. It runs great and oil pressure is excelent. The sound is annoying me, I would like to get it fixed, but dose anyone have a clue what this can be? I noticed a faint of exhaust from the engine room, so I was thinking about a exhaustleak, but my father inlaw suspected a "short" pushrod because of the "mechanic sound". So again, any clue where to start? I got the car real cheap because of this noise...

Sorry about my english. Im Norwegian.
Proabaly a bad or worn valve lifter. BTW your english is fine.
Old January 21st, 2019, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Proabaly a bad or worn valve lifter. BTW your english is fine.
Thanks for the reply.

If there is a bad lifter, is it "safe" to drive the car for a while without risking total damage to the engine? To cold outside to even consider fixing this right now... There is no lack of power in the engine and no check engine light. Previous owner drove the car for 13 000 miles without it getting worse.
Old January 21st, 2019, 11:14 AM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the reply.

If there is a bad lifter, is it "safe" to drive the car for a while without risking total damage to the engine? To cold outside to even consider fixing this right now... There is no lack of power in the engine and no check engine light. Previous owner drove the car for 13 000 miles without it getting worse.
Amazon Amazon

Liqui -Moly might work for you. I haven't used it but it has good reviews..
Old January 21st, 2019, 8:39 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks for the reply.

Given what you said, its probably okay to drive the vehicle. Evenually if it doesnt stop you will have to replace the lifter and make sure the push rod is not bent.or replace it too.As it is, no it will not show up on the dash light or an OBD II scanner.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; January 21st, 2019 at 8:50 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Given what you said, its probably okay to drive the vehicle. Evenually if it doesnt stop you will have to replace the lifter and make sure the push rod is not bent.or replace it too.As it is, no it will not show up on the dash light or an OBD II scanner.
Thank you. I will do that if that is the cause of it. However, I started the car yesterday and looked under the hood. I could clearly see exhaust coming out of the manifold on the right side. The ticking is also coming form that same area on the engine. Hoping that is the cause.

Old January 23rd, 2019, 1:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2006 Uplander also "ticks" at start-up, but this goes away as it warms up. Co-incidentally, I asked my ex, who used to pull wrenches, about this last night, since I didn't hear the "ticking" when I bought it last October. (It has 165,000 kms on it.) He tells me this is normal for many older vehicles, and is caused by varnish build-up on the lifters, which prevents the oil from initially reaching the cylinders. His Chevy truck also "ticks" when he starts it. And, no, it won't harm the engine, except to add a tiny bit more wear and tear on the engine. However, that's the only time I hear the "ticking" so maybe Metro's ticking symptoms are different from mine.
Old January 23rd, 2019, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

When the car is parked and I rev the engine I can hear this clattering/ticking sound at some rpm. I used a long wrench and pointed it on different spots on the engine. I revved the engine and listened on the heads, manifold, bottom of the engine and middle of the engine. The ticking/clattering diddent come from any of those spots. If the ticking came from the engine, wouldn't it have echoed trough the metal parts?

The noise is worst when I drive. It goes away immediately when I let of the gass pedal despite high RPM.
Old January 24th, 2019, 4:46 AM
CF Beginner

I have now isolated the source to around spark plug nr 1. The sound goes away if I pull that sparkplug hose. So I guess its not a exhaust leak.. Maybe a stuck lifter. I hope
Old January 25th, 2019, 4:27 AM
CF Monarch

I have now isolated the source to around spark plug nr 1. The sound goes away if I pull that sparkplug hose. So I guess its not a exhaust leak.. Maybe a stuck lifter. I hope
Dony let anyone tell you that you cant replace a bad lifter with a new one, as the old one has wear from the camshaft. Ive done and it worked.I'd also intall a new pushrod (dirt cheap) and maybe even the rocker. I'd pump the new lifter up with oil, put some never seize on the cam side of the lifter, install with magnetic tool and drive it. Hope that helps.