Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

timing issues

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing issues

ok i broke in my cam with 100lbs springs like the instructions said. and then replaced them with the springs that i'm suppose to run 385lbs. runnin a solid lifter cam all valves set at .026" 54 cc heads, headers, 350 block, edelbrock air gap intake and 670 holley street avenger. i started the motor to set the timing. For some reason the only way to see the timing mark on the balancer is if i set my light to 40 degrees advance at a idle ok i know this is way to high it suppose to be around 12 or so..but if i retard the engine it sounds like crap and i can't keep the idle going. also for some reason i am hear a strange knock sound coming from the tail pipes. Also when i pop the motor from idle or just above idle it will back fire thru the carburetor ( not under load). i check all wires for proper firing order. any suggestions to fix this?
Old April 17th, 2012, 1:25 PM
CF Junior Member

when you retard your timing you have to increase the idle screw.

did you top dead center and line the timing mark up?

Last edited by stanman; April 17th, 2012 at 1:27 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 1:47 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What vacuum source is your vac advance on the distributor hooked up to, ported or full manifold? If manifold vacuum, you're advancing your timing a bit at idle and you need to disconnect the hose before setting your base timing. If you have mechanical advance, your issue could be with the weights and/or springs kicking the advance in too soon.
Old April 17th, 2012, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

no i didn't stan. and of course i should never assume but i just assumbed that the groove that is on the harmonic balancer was suppose to be tdc i never double checked to make sure that was accurate.

Camaro 69. i didn't have the vacuum hose connected to the distributor it was blocked off. i was not planning on using the vacuum advance anyways due to the fact my motor is in a dirt track race car and will not be driven on the street at all. the weights and springs are the origanal ones that came with the distributor. the distributor is a msd streetfire no ignition box. should i change out the springs and weights??
Old April 17th, 2012, 5:50 PM
Site Ambassador

I wouldn't start messing with that yet. It's possible you may have the wrong harmonic dampener (some have the notch in a different clocked position), or the outer ring may have slid around. Do you know how to find your true #1 TDC using a piston stop?
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

no i have done with with a screw driver. i stuck in the sparkplug hole when i know i am on the compression stroke turned the motor by hand till i see the screwdriver top and then start to go back to down. the turn the motor back just a little bit where that lull is between it stopping at top and goin back down.
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:28 PM
Site Ambassador

Ok, and at that point, TDC on the pointer pretty much lines up with the notch on the dampener?
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

yes the notch is really close to the pointer
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Site Ambassador

From your first post "if i set my light to 40 degrees advance".... I take it you're using a dial back timing light.
Have you checked with a conventional timing light to make sure the problem isn't with the dial back?
Old April 18th, 2012, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

you know i didn't even think about that.. i will check in the morning thanks camaro

Quick Reply: timing issues