Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Timming problems

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2010, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Timming problems

My son & I are working on an 88 Camaro 2.8 injected. We just got the car for 500.00 but it is not running.We were told the motor was just replaced with a semi-rebuilt "whatever that means" motor but is having issues.We put the piston @ T.D.C #1 then the Dist. @ #1 and it pops one time then just turns over. We have tried this many times to no avail so we pulled the front of the engine apart to see if maybe the timming chain was installed incorrectly it dosent apear to be wrong but with not much knowledge here I am not sure.When both timming marks are straight up twelve o clock the cam positioner thingy is @ the 9 o'clock spot If i spin it so the cam positioner is @ the 3 O'clock spot then the timming mark on the cam is @ the 6 & the crank is on the 12. Is write or is the cam timming off 180 degrees. P.S I did a compression test off # 1 before we tore it apart & I wasnt getting anything granite my tester is old but still works and is the kind you just hold in the plug hole not a screw in type,any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Old May 11th, 2010, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never worked on the V6's so i looked in the book. You know #1 cylinder is on the passenger side front unlike a v8 and the dist should point to it on TDC. Firing order is 123456.

With the timing chain cover off the marks should face each other I.E. camshaft gear mark at 6oclock crankshaft gear at 12oclock at this pont both #1 and # 4 cylinders will be at TDC and the distributor should be pointing at #4 so it will be 180 out but its easier to make sure the timing marks are lined up.