Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tip On 4.8L and 5.3L Oil Pressure Issues..

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2022, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUOTE=msand9898;484292]I

Originally Posted by msand9898
I have my 2006 tahoe with a 4.8 at 200k miles. This past weekend it started ticking so I changed the oil and still slight ticking, and oil pressure dropped to 10-15 with check engine light and low oil pressure warning. I changed the oil pressure sender, still at 10-15. So I pulled the oil pan, oil pump, oil pickup tube, replaced reinstalled everything with new gaskets. Now at 15-20 at idle, and at 50mph on highway oil pressure at 38-40.

Did I miss anything??
Quite possibly the small screen under the oil pressure switch, also one might one to try a reputable sludge remover or make your own using oil and Diesel Fuel or Kerosene & Oil, May want to check for mix ratio, & for God sakes this is only to run engine at idle before removing and replacing with a fresh oil & filter change. DO NOT PUT IT IN & DRIVE IT AROUND. This is only to try & clear sludge outta the engine. I Have Actually Had This Work Alone, But Always Use Your Best Judgment, If In Doubt, Ask, Please Don't Speculate, IT CAN BE EXTREMELY EXSPENSIVE.
Old February 1st, 2023, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Califokie
The LS engines ( 4.8 and 5.3L) have had different issues what erratic oil press gauge readings.. If the engine sounds normal but the gauge reads low or sometimes even high the problem is probably a clogged screen that is under the Oil Pressure Sensor located on the left top of the bellhousing behind the Intake Manifold... This is a common failure and most people have at least heard about it..

Now with that being said, A customer left his 04 GMC Sierra with a 5.3L T code ( 8th digit of VIN) engine out in front of my shop the night before for me to change that screen to see if it would correct his oil pressure issues.. Well, I knew as soon as I started it the next morning and it rattle at me for about 5 seconds and then pumped the oil pressure up to about 30 to 35 psi as I pulled it into my shop, that this was NOT a dirty screen issue... The truck had 210K miles on it and the owner was ready to just call it wore out and find another truck.. The truck had been serviced regularly it's entire life and now here it was with low oil pressure issues, so he asked for my advice about if the truck was worth fixing.. My answer was ABSOLUTELY... In my opinion the LS motors are some of the very best engines on the road. Just like it's SBC predecessors, the engines are right next to being bullet proof..

This low oil pressure issue was caused by a weak design that was made when the engineers actually made the oil filter housing part of the oil pan.. The oil literally has to go through the oil pan gasket and oil pan to get to the filter.. The oil pan gasket has two O-rings built into it that seals the inlet and outlet to the oil filter. This design allows an o-ring to split and allow oil to escape the lubrication system and dump right back into the oil pan leaving no visible outside trace of an oil leak.. So a failed oil pan gasket can make you think that your engine is wore out... Another weak spot in the engine is another o-ring used on the pickup tube where it seals to the oil pump that hardens and allows oil to escape back into the pan there also..

To fix the truck I pulled the 4 bolts and dropped the crossmember, removed the oil pan, drilled out the rivets used to secure the oil pan gasket to the oil pan at the factory, pulled the pickup tube and replaced the o-ring on it and put the oil pan back on with a new gasket.. The truck now maintains 45-60 psi oil pressure and no longer rattles when starting up cold... Due to the fact that the oil pan bolts need to be torqued in sequence to prevent alignment problems I strongly suggest not doing this yourself.. However it is about a 4 hour job that is much cheaper than buying a new engine or truck.
How much did you charge to fix it?
Old February 19th, 2023, 8:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVip3r9
How much did you charge to fix it?
I usually charge 150 for a 2wd and 225 for a 4wd. I can do the 2wd in an hour and the 4wd in a hour and a half. But I have a two post lift which makes life a lot easier.
Old August 18th, 2023, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

My 4.8 2007 Silverado Classic started ticking at around 250,000 miles. It would come and go, hard and soft click at times, and I suspected the oil pump. BUT I talked with many "experts" about it. Could be a varnished lifter, a bent pushrod, etc. One guy said to run a tank of premium through it. I knew that was wacko. but it was the last thing I tried. I had also tried adding trans fluid to the oil plus some other witchcraft fixes that I don't remember now. A "friend" of mine recommended his mechanic who builds hotrods and fixes used cars for resale was consulted. He says all the lifters need replacing even though only one ticks. So he replaces all the lifters, and the oil pressure sender, plus all appropriate gaskets. I still had ticking. I finally had a Melling high pressure pump installed by my regular mechanic, that is especially recommended for high mileage engines. Problem solved. Gage now reads around 35-40 like it should.