Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

totally stumped!

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totally stumped!

I am having a strange problem with my 93' chevy 1500.
What's happening is it bogs down like its starving for fuel.
I have changed the fuel filter, pump map sensor, tps,as well as replaced all vac lines with rubber ones.
After $500 the problem is still there.
Not sure if connected but It started when I repaired msnifold leaks (gasket/donut).
Also the bearing for the powerstearing pump is going.
Not sure if there's a connecton there.
Can it be the egr valve?
This is my only vehicle and my livelihood depends on it.
Any advise/guesses would be appreciated.
Old November 8th, 2013, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, also checked the injectors they are fine.
Old November 9th, 2013, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone??
Not even a guess? ?
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
CF Junior Member

My guess is plugged catalytic converter. If you are certain you have good fuel pressure and everything else is in good working order. Put vehicle in neutral and check to see if engine revs up smoothly.
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

It dosent have a cat just a straight pipe and a chreey bomb.
No problems at all at idle.
Old November 9th, 2013, 6:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I'd be curious about fuel pressure then. I believe minimum for tbi is 10psi. And that may be enough at idle but another good test is a running residual fuel pressure test to see if fuel pump can keep up with demands. The only way that power steering pump could effect it would be if the bearing is seizing. But I think you would notice that with start up and idle speed. If EGR is sticking wide open while driving that could create a problem by allowing too much air into combustion chamber. Only other issue I could think of would be torque converter that has a stator that is constantly freewheeling. Does it only feel like it bogs down at lower speeds (below 30mph) and then runs normally? That would be indication of torque converter
Old November 10th, 2013, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Also I'd make sure you're gaskets at manifolds are sealed and manifolds aren't cracked. An exhaust leak could pull air in to exhaust stream and across o2 sensor causing ECM to think its running lean and over fueling which can cause same feeling as lack of power
Old November 10th, 2013, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the feed back guys.
I check the egr valve yesterday, its fine.
The manifold is not leaking although it was just recently fixed after years of horrible
Leaking.
I beleave the fact that it is soild now may have something to do with the problem I m expriancein, not sure.
I took it to a mech. Yesterday and after he drove it for a few his frist guess was dist. Cap/roter?
Thoughts?
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:05 PM
CF Junior Member

If that's the case I'd be wondering about the gear on the distributor that contacts the cam. Those can wear out. And if it is indeed the distributor you should be ale to feel the excessive free play in the distributor shaft to distributor housing. For some reason I thought you had written that you have replaced cap and rotor
Old November 28th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

premature torque converter lock up can cause this as well, its rare but i have seen it. most common cause is a plugged cooler or a broken stator in the torque converter is also another cause, as it wont circulate fluid as designed causing it to lock up.

Quick Reply: totally stumped!