Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Towing ?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Towing ?

Next year I plan on moving 1200miles back to Texas. If I were to put my 07 on a dolly, should I pull the driveshaft? and if I did, would trans fluid leak out? On my old Chevys, fluid would leak out the back without the driveshaft. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pull the driveshaft, just curious what ya'll think, maybe theres something I dont know.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
Next year I plan on moving 1200miles back to Texas. If I were to put my 07 on a dolly, should I pull the driveshaft? and if I did, would trans fluid leak out? On my old Chevys, fluid would leak out the back without the driveshaft. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pull the driveshaft, just curious what ya'll think, maybe theres something I dont know.
are you saying the kinda dolly where only the front wheels are off the ground?if you were to remove the driveline i dont see it leaking,is there another reason you would want to remove it?

red
Old December 1st, 2009, 2:04 PM
CF Veteran

Just the front wheels off the ground. I just dont like the idea of the trans spinning for 1200miles in neutral. Good to hear from ya again.
Old December 1st, 2009, 2:09 PM
CF Senior Member

makes sense not to want the tranny spinning miles when not actually driving it!or you could flat bed her?

and thanks for the kind words
Old December 1st, 2009, 2:16 PM
CF Veteran

I wish I had the money just to buy a 36ft dovetail gooseneck that'd be big enough for everything I have plus the wifes car. I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest way to move. Don't think 1 uhaul trailer is gonna be big enough this go round.
Old December 6th, 2009, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

a little late but YES remove your drive shaft..all you need to do is remove it from the rear and and secure it to the frame. you do not need to remove it from the tranny. when securing it up make sure it will not shift rear words and fall out. some bailing wire, a bungee cord, and electric tape to tape your u-joint caps on, and down the road you go..

good luck..
Old December 6th, 2009, 5:28 PM
CF Veteran

If I'm pulling my truck the 1200miles to Texas, I'd rather not have the driveshaft being held by bailing wire, I-10 is pretty rough in Louisiana. Though I have made a driveshaft out of bailing wire, t-posts, and lots of duct tape. I was 17, blew my driveshaft in my 81 F-250, it was 2a.m. 3miles from home, and I did not want to hear mothers wrath.
Old January 31st, 2010, 1:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Why not disconnect the driveshaft and strap it up with a heavy ratchet strap? Wrap it around once and it shouldn't go anywhere. Connect to frame.
Old January 31st, 2010, 1:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I would go with what Timmy said. Pulling it completely out may result in some leakage, especially on the steeper inclines. You may look into a couple tranny shops and see if they have some sort of shipping plug, or just strap it up. Tape the u-joints up good.

However you decide to do it, definately pull it from the rear end.
People will tell you that it can cause damage to your tranny because the pump isn't turning but I'm going to tell you that I have seen first hand, two cars burn to the ground because of it.
Old January 31st, 2010, 2:07 PM
CF Veteran

I decided to just get rid of a few things, were gonna just get the U-Haul trailer. I may have to sacrifice the couch and a few other things.

Quick Reply: Towing ?