Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Transfer Case Failure due to Pump Rub

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2015, 1:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Transfer Case Failure due to Pump Rub

This topic is discussed elsewhere and quite a bit of info on line, but until this week I had not heard of it. Best friend's '02 Yukon 4wd failed due to the "hole in transfer case from pump rub" disease. His mechanic said it's a common problem. So, my questions are:
1. Curious to hear how many of you have personally had this problem or you professional mechanics have repaired it.
2. If my '05 Suburban @ 204k mi (yikes) is ok now, should I invest in the available kit to protect future failure.
3. Is this a fairly straightforward job for the average backyard maniac to do in his garage or driveway or should I support my trusty mechanic's business.
4. BTW how often should 4x4 be engaged to keep the system happy?
Thanks for your input, Red
Old May 23rd, 2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

depends on what t-case you have.

google it
for the effected t-cases:
there are several repair options. if the hole is right through:
-brny has a inexpensive repair $50 and its as easy a splitting the case
-dorman makes a case half for about 350

if the case is not damaged. split the case and install the updated pump retainer...the part is $15

Sadly, a lot of technicians don't know about the cheaper alternatives. Most order the case half from the dealer for $700 or replace the tcase. I'm going to try the brny repair for the first time this week.
Old May 24th, 2015, 9:33 AM
Super Moderator

I only engage my 4wd when the road is slippery. its a part time system so it should not be used on dry pavement. There is no need to engage it if you don't need it.

there are a lot of video's online on splitting the t-case. if you can remove the rear driveshaft and unbolt the t-case from the transmission you should be ok. install a new t-case to trans adapter housing gasket when you put it back together.

Last edited by tech2; May 24th, 2015 at 9:36 AM.
Old May 24th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There apparently are various opinions on the frequency of engaging your 4WD.
On some models, the Operators Manual suggests the frequency of that, and, how often to change the Fluid.
Many problems for hesitant shifting are due to non use. I agree that it's not needed on dry pavement, but, if one has a clear straight road to operate the system (hi/lo/hi) several times, once per month, usually keeps things stirred up well enough where when one does need it, it changes reasonably well.

I personally test my system at least twice a month.

Last edited by SWHouston; May 26th, 2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 25th, 2015, 1:52 PM
Super Moderator

that must be for you guys with the newer torque distribution clutch pack t-cases.