Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

transmisson flush or not

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2010, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmisson flush or not

I have a 2008 aveo with 116000 miles on it. its never had a transmission flush and was thinking about getting one now. Ive heard its a bad thing to do know this late and that i should just leave the old fluid in there. Any opinions on weither i should get a transmission flush or not?
Old October 30th, 2010, 7:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi hogs29,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

IMO it would be wiser to change the transmission filter, then top it off with new transmission fluid.

The filter change is usually a 40K maintenance item. The transmission takes a hell of a beating going untouched over 100K, then when it inevitably breaks down shortly after a much belated oil change, people always want to blame the oil or filter change; rather than the 100K of abuse it suffered BEFORE the change.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The filter has to be changed! Why put in new oil and keep an old filter? A trans flush is a way for shops to just get a trans fluid change done quickly. Now if you have excessive metal shavings or even friction material in your oil even with a flush its gonna stay in your torque converter and possibly your oil cooler. Both can be flushed seperatly but the torque conveter has to be removed from the vehicle and a special machine is used to completely clean it.