Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Turn signal switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2018, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal switch replacement

I'm back, in over my head again. Trying to replace the turn signal switch of a 1984 chevy G30 Hi-cube, 350 gas engine. I have one big question. The wire bundle goes down thru the steering column to a long, flat connector. I can just cut the old wire and bring the old part out no problem, but how the heck does one get the new connector down thru the too small space? Grr.
Chuck
1984 chevy G30 Hi-cube, 350 gas engine
Old September 4th, 2018, 5:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a while, but ignition lock removed?cover comes off?
Old September 5th, 2018, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

I cleared that hurdle, I was able to squeeze the connector thru. Now I am trying to reassemble the steering column and wondering why the heck this seemed like a good idea. I"ve done something wrong with the ignition; at this point its basically hot-wired when I start to replace the battery connection. Tearing down (again) to reassemble (again), hopefully with better results.
Chuck
1984 chevy G30 Hi-cube, 350 gas engine
Old September 5th, 2018, 6:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Know what you mean, I have done a few, it is just perserverance.
Old September 6th, 2018, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

/tiedyechuck
Oh, man! This video stopped just seconds before I could see what I need to see. When that casing comes off, that pin thats sinking into the bore fell out and the prong with the gear notches on the underside came free before I could see how the parts went together. Now I am stuck. I see that the prong needs to fit the plastic gear wheel I can see at the base of the tumbler space, but hours of fiddling and retrying later I cannot get things lined up and together correctly. Any help on this?

Old September 6th, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

This is the booger (and the pin mentioned) that I cannot line up correctly to finish the reinstall. Any thoughts or tips? Chevy G30 hi cube 350 engine
Old September 13th, 2018, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

This view is looking down the barrel for the ignition tumbler. See how the wheel has gear teeth on only part of the circle? I need to know the correct position of that wheel when the teeth on the bar first mesh with the wheel and I cant find that specific information anywhere. Any help? In the mean time I guess I'll keep taking it apart and putting it together in the hopes it eventually falls right. Sigh.
1984 Chevy G30 Hi-cube 350 engine
Old September 13th, 2018, 7:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bar wants to be,3 forward from rear most position, first is acc,lock, steering unlocked is third,that's the way cylinder gets installed,one forward from steering lock/key removal?
Old September 13th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I'll try that tomorrow.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Just in case anyone is looking for closure...I got someone in to figure this out for me. It was some small consolation that he thought it was a pain in the butt task too.
Read on for my next (mis)adventure, speedometer repair.

1984 Chevy G30 Hi-cube 350 engine