Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 5:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

I just came across this interesting bulletin put out by GM. Relates to customers have carbon build-up problems and how to keep you motor clean from the inside....

#04-06-04-047H: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only - (Jun 24, 2008)

Subject:TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline (Deposits, Fuel Economy, No Start, Power, Performance, Stall Concerns) - U.S. Only

Models:2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn) (U.S. Only)
2003-2009 HUMMER H2 (U.S. Only)
2006-2009 HUMMER H3 (U.S. Only)
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X (U.S. Only)

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by six automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

(1)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
(2)Intake valve: 10,000 miles with Legal Minimum additive

Gasoline Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards

As of November 15, 2006, all grades of the following gasoline brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards:

Chevron
Chevron-Canada
QuikTrip
Conoco
Phillips 66
Shell
Shell-Canada
Entec Stations located in the greater Montgomery, Alabama area.
MFA Oil Company located throughout Missouri.
Kwik Trip, Inc. in Minnesota and Wisconsin and Kwik Star convenience stores in Iowa.
The Somerset Refinery, Inc. at Somerset Oil stations in Kentucky.
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004 and many fuel marketers have joined the program and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?

On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by six automotive companies: Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the six automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?

All six corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.
Old May 7th, 2009, 5:50 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info! Thanks for posting that. For a while I always thought and was told by friends that Shell was a poor grade gas, I have been using Chevron, Arco & Mobile for the last few months. I see Arco isnt on the list.
Old May 7th, 2009, 6:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HMM not seeing any gas stations by my house
Old May 7th, 2009, 6:40 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

If anyone knows, how long does it take for a clean or new engine to build up a good amount of carbon from non detergent gas? Or is it based on how you drive?
Old May 8th, 2009, 7:01 PM
Banned

that valve shown in the pic is only after 10,000miles! The average person drives 1000mile per month. So even after only 2 years, you're going to have quite a bit of crap in your motor
Old May 8th, 2009, 8:47 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Wow, that quick, somehow I didnt catch that, Its clearly written in the post. Thanks Shawn! Well it looks like I am in the safe zone because I use many of those stations. Ill ditch Arco, but thier gas runs good.
Old June 29th, 2009, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative and interesting article. I have seen an engine (03 Mercedes SL500) that had SOOO much carbon build-up in it, I was suprised we were able to de-sludge it! 87 octane (Safeway "gas" oh, by the way) AND NO SYNTHETIC OIL!!! As mechanics, and service advisors, we NEED to inform our customers about proper maint! I do not believe that ethenol has help improved our business-we all sound like knuckle-draggers. Example (poor, I know)-Have any of you diesel tech had problems with injectors in older diesel engines? I bet you have-common story. How about gas engines? Any fuel-related complications?
Old October 31st, 2009, 2:11 PM
CF Veteran

Shawn, does an additive like Lucas fuel treatment help clean up this condition or am I SOL?
Old November 1st, 2009, 5:19 AM
Banned

they do help clean these problems. But depending on how bad the problem is, it may take a few treatments. Although it wouldn't hurt to run it through every 3 months or so regardless of how bad you think it might be
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks Shawn, I usually do every other tank full for safety sake and it seems to help with mileage and power some.

Quick Reply: Using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline