Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2011, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of hard to believe that sludge encrusted valve is typical for all conditions and all driving styles. It seems to me that it's more marketing and exaggeration than reality. Just me, skeptic. Today's engines are much tighter, with advanced metallurgy permitting tighter tolerances that don't generate noticeable combustion by-products. That's why 7,500 mile oil changes are actually not that bad for newer motors.
Old July 26th, 2011, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

I can vouch this i have just recently changed gas from canadian tire to petro canada and i have seen my miles go back to when to truck was newer
Old October 26th, 2011, 8:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my local Chevy dealer and independent mechanic recommend using B&G 44K every 20,000 miles.
Old October 27th, 2011, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Huh?

"Tyger: Both my local Chevy dealer and independent mechanic recommend using B&G 44K every 20,000 miles."

Tyger, I know this is going to make me look really bad, but what is "B&G 44K?" I have done several close gasoline studies on my own, when I was driving a lot. There are differences, but the gasoline industry is closely regulated and the differences aren't dramatic. The dealer adding up to 10% water in the storage tanks is more influential. Maybe if someone runs in Mexico and buys a lot of Pemex fuel.....?

Thanks.
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

I usually do every other tank full for safety sake and it seems to help with mileage and power.
Old July 16th, 2013, 2:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a new member and this is my first post. I own a repair shop in Florida specializing in GM vehicles. I just wanted to add another TSB that reiterates the importance of top tier gas. Check out bulletin #08-06-04-045A. This bulletin addresses O2 sensor poisoning caused by high sulfur levels found in some fuels and stresses the importance of Top Tier Gas again. The code can usually be remedied without replacing parts. The required fix is to reprogram the ECM with a diagnostic monitor that is slight less sensitive for that test AND to switch to Top Tier Gas to avoid future issues. There are numerous benefits with using Top Tier Gas. The fuel economy savings and repair cost savings well outweigh the slightly higher costs. Plus, the use of Top Tier Gas practically eliminates the need for costly periodic fuel system cleaning services and additives.
Old July 10th, 2014, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

This is all bullcrap.
Old September 14th, 2014, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

when i worked at Toyota certain models were sensitive to gas type. owner's that used cheap gas when high octane was called for got their whole top end of the block gunked up. cleaning up the gunk was a regular job there.

not all cars are effected badly by using a different gas. depends on design.

(leaving cetane out of argument) with high octane you resist detonation. that's right it fires later. if your car's cam timing relies on this you need it. on the other hand, if your chamber and timing are designed to work well with lower octane cheaper gas: that's fine too, usually lower cost and a little lower mileage (lower overall).

check news carefully on your car before deciding to use a different octane. older cars were more resilient - newer cars - some they say were designed to "require" high octane to benefit gas-auto "back room deal" and it was said they changed it. but you never know! you can take off you cam cover and look though! check your mileage.
Old September 14th, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Active Member

someone said it's a cow patty

i say additives for oil and gas can and have done wonders - though not necessarily at a good price

i'm unsure about gas additives (one was good then outlawed due to water table poisoning)

for oil detergents saved engines big time - allot less gunk and less frequent teardowns! and the new patent and additive that gives rating "API: energy conserving". that's outstanding. for about the same price as regular oil immediately the engine sounded less retarded and the fuel mileage did pick up. also i could feel that it was much more slippery than non-engergy conserving organic oil of any kind. (synthetic i got no comment on)
The following users liked this post:
roderickharveyjr@gmail.com (March 17th, 2022)
Old January 18th, 2015, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not buyin this whole top tier thing, around me almost all the fast stations are owned by foreigners, im fact one guy owns quite a few of them, and they're all filled by the same truck from the same company, whether its a Mobil, Sunoco, citgo, shell, or pretty much anywhere except stewarts they're getting the same gas.

Last edited by Jabob; January 18th, 2015 at 7:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
roderickharveyjr@gmail.com (March 17th, 2022)

Quick Reply: Using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline