Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

What can reset "Engine Hours"?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2009, 3:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What can reset "Engine Hours"?

I recently purchased a 2006 model year Suburban with 40+ thousand miles. The Engine Hours display showed 77 hours a few days ago. It is just above 80 now so yes, it is adding additional time properly. I don't know of a way to reset the engine hours unless swapping the engine or computer has something to do with it. Apparently GM VIS does not show ant warranty claims for my VIN.

Any ideas why such a vehicle would show only 80 engine hours?

Thanks

DPLarson
Old April 6th, 2009, 5:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I'll answer my own question...

I found some info elsewhere that it is actually pretty common for the engine hours timer to be reset. One common way is by cranking the engine with a low battery. I'm sure this only works sometimes but I found many people claim that this reset their timer.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm reluctant to post in this thread, it's like I'm talking to myself.

Anyway, it seems that the engine hours timer can reset itself whenever it wants to. It happened recently, no low battery or hard starting engine and nothing else unusual, just noticed recently when going through the different displays that engine hours had recently been reset.
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently, no one has experience on the matter here.
I think there were some bugs in the engine hours sytem that were not worked out before production. I have seen people report these problems occasionally.

IMO, Its a useless measurement. Everyone goes by mileage.
Old November 28th, 2021, 8:19 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Apparently, no one has experience on the matter here.
I think there were some bugs in the engine hours sytem that were not worked out before production. I have seen people report these problems occasionally.

IMO, Its a useless measurement. Everyone goes by mileage.
Hello. I’ll reply to this 12 year old thread. I accidentally reset my engine hours and was wondering how I did it. Looking at this thread might have explained it. I tried to crank the engine with a nearly dead battery. The engine hours reset to zero.This was a 2008 Suburban 3/4 ton.
Old December 12th, 2021, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can reset pretty much all the other things yet not the motor hours. I realize it was reset before I got this is on the grounds that it had 54 hours on it with 6700 miles and presently I have 9800 and 189 hours.
Kodi nox

Last edited by kiloskd; December 13th, 2021 at 2:04 AM.
Old December 12th, 2021, 12:08 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by kiloskd
I can reset pretty much all the other things yet not the motor hours. I realize it was reset before I got this is on the grounds that it had 54 hours on it with 6700 miles and presently I have 9800 and 189 hours.
Hi. There is a quirk that will re-set your hours. I accidently re-set mine. What you need is to put a run-down battery in place of your good one. May sure it is showing less than 11.5 volts. They try crank your engine assuming it will not start. I have seen this on on other forums and it happened to me. Mine re-set to 0 hours. Let us know if that worked.

S.D.