Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

When is remote entry battery dieing?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is remote entry battery dieing?

How do you tell when the remote entry battery is dieing and how long do they last. It seems like when I use the remote entry lately, I have to be closer to the car and push the button a couple of times to get it to work. Is this a sign that the battery is going dead?
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Mine does that too. I have replaced the battery and it works for a short while. Looking at buying a new fob again.
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> basilkies,

It may be the battery. It's also possible there may be a solder disconnect internally too. Check your owner's manual for instructions on changing the battery. If that doesn't work, contact your local dealer to order a new fob.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louis,

Charging !, I wasn't aware that was possible !
I have a 2003 Burb as you can see below, is that available on the system I have (OEM) on my Vehicle ?

And if so, just how does one go about that ?
(I don't have an original Ops Manual)
Old April 11th, 2012, 4:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

He didn't say charging the battery, he said changing the battery. You can do a Google search for key fobs and you will find many places selling them at below dealer prices. And you usually get a GM part.
Old April 12th, 2012, 7:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> SWHouston,

Sorry, charging isn't possible with the current battery. However, it may be possible to replace it with a rechargeable one.

Since you don't have a copy of the manual, for your convenience, a digital copy is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...t-Suburban.pdf

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 12th, 2012, 9:25 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

He didn't say charging the battery, he said changing the battery.
*chuckle* its okay SWHouston, none of us are pointing at the screen and laughing
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

UOOPS !

Sorry about that. Incidentally, I have an appointment with the Optometrist Friday. (so expect more mistakes till then)

in2pro, you lie !
All of you are pointing your fingers at the screen and laughing.
But, I'm laughing with you.

PS:
Louis, oldchevy, thank you for your very informative replies.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm right there with you I get my new glasses next week...
Old April 12th, 2012, 1:57 PM
Super Moderator

As long as I've gotten this Thread totally off of topic...

I enjoy going to the Range, and in recent years, have had to put a Scope on just about everything I shoot. New glasses will be TRI-focal.

PS:
Dog lovers check this one out...
Canine Lifeguard Rescues Drowning Puppy: Video - Vetstreet