Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Where to find brake backing plates and anchor pins?

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2019 | 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default Where to find brake backing plates and anchor pins?

I bought a pair of brake backing plates for a -91 Silverado 2500 a few months ago, ACDelco 14056175/14056176. They look great but I realized they came without anchor pins? Does anyone have an idea where those can be bought? Are they very generic? Haven't taken apart the car yet since it's used daily, but what I have heard so far it should be possible to remove the anchor pins from the existing plates. While that is not ideal (would prefer new/good condition ones), I suppose that is the last resort. At the same time, it seems like some anchor pins are of rivet-type (as in, can't be unscrewed)?

I've also been on the lookout for a pair of brake backing plates for a -79 Silverado C20 (yes, old enough to make it incredibly hard to find parts) for quite some time. Bought a pair that turned out to be wrong, so that was a bummer. It doesn't seem like replacements are made anymore, and naturally, it's hard to find used parts if you don't know where to look (or even what their part number is). Any help on that would be much appreciated as well!

Just to clarify, the anchor pins I'm talking about are part #4 in this picture:

Old September 14th, 2019 | 9:52 AM
CF Monarch

Try Rockauto. These should not be hard to find elsewhere.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion)+kit,1772
Old September 14th, 2019 | 6:55 PM
Super Moderator

anchor pins should be part of the brake hardware kit. It will include new springs which should be replaced when you replace pads.
Old September 14th, 2019 | 10:45 PM
I'm here for the party

Originally Posted by tech2
anchor pins should be part of the brake hardware kit. It will include new springs which should be replaced when you replace pads.
x2

the brake backing plates are going to be one of those things that will pretty much be only found on axles already. sometimes it can be cheaper to find a donor axle rather than a specific part.
Old September 15th, 2019 | 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Try Rockauto. These should not be hard to find elsewhere.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion)+kit,1772
Originally Posted by tech2
It doesn't look like the kits oldchevy linked to contain the anchor pin? I believe I've eyed over those in the past but moved on since it didn't seem to have what I'm looking for.
Here's another picture of a similar part as in the original picture I posted:

The dimension is something like 17-18 mm in diameter, so it's pretty thick.

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
the brake backing plates are going to be one of those things that will pretty much be only found on axles already. sometimes it can be cheaper to find a donor axle rather than a specific part.
Makes sense. Any idea where to start looking? I guess I'll try emailing a few junkyards and see if they happen to have what I'm looking for.

Really appreciate all the responses so far!
Old September 16th, 2019 | 10:25 AM
CF Junior Member

You can find them on https://www.gmpartsprime.com/ . They have a lot of hard to find OEM parts and Vintage parts. Hope this helps

Last edited by SuperSmooth; September 16th, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old September 24th, 2019 | 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SuperSmooth
You can find them on https://www.gmpartsprime.com/ . They have a lot of hard to find OEM parts and Vintage parts. Hope this helps
Holy moly they had it! Part number 14009982 supposedly. Many many thanks to you sir, amazing!