Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Z71 Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2018, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Z71 Fuel Pump issues

I have a 1998 Z71 with a 350. I recently had brake light issues and after finding the issue was the Brake pedal switch I replaced it. While replacing the switch I noticed the little clip that holds the switch on the brake pedal was missing...unfortunately the only way I could get my hands in the tight area was to drop the steering column. Which went smoothly for the most part. After getting the dash back together I found the shifter cable had broke, from being bent while trying to replace the switch. After I fixed all this I found my battery was dead one morning. I charged it back up and it started and ran fine. Then I noticed once the truck was shut off and set still for a period of time, over an hour....the fuel pump would kick on. Granted no one was in the truck when this happened. I started thinking a bad ground or pinched wire under the steering column, but that didn't make since that it was only happening after the truck had been off for a while.
At this point I have wiggled the wiring under the steering column and checked my ignition connections, replaced the fuel pump relay, and check the fuses on the side of the dash and under the hood...all test good. The only way I have found to stop the pump when it kicks on is to pull the 20 amp fuse on the under hood fuse panel or pull the positive battery cable. The ABS and Air bag lights are on, but I always thought that was standard on older trucks. Has anyone had this issue before?