Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

zz6 motor -- replacement plugs?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zz6 motor -- replacement plugs?

hey, quick question-- I just dropped a zz6 into an off-road project ('88 jeep Cherokee). Truck runs fantastic, but the boot on the #1 plug is hitting the header. I had originally swapped in a circa '88 350, and had replaced the stock plugs with accel shorty plugs.
I was thinking of doing the same thing here... the motor comes with ACD MR43LTS plugs which, which are (for reasons I can't figure out) a marine plug, with a .67, .68 or .709 reach, depending on which resource you read.

I called accel for advice on a replacement shorty plug, they suggested accel 0414s or 0415s, both of which have a .75 reach...

I've never don't anything other than go with a spec-for-spec plug swap... is the .05 - .07 difference going to extend too far into the cylinder head?

(alternatively I'm looing into doing one of those fabric heat covers for the #1 plug, or maybe ceramic boots)

thoughts appreciated.