Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2007 Impala Ecm swap

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Impala Ecm swap

Does the ecm have to be flashed when swapping out or is it plug and play?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

must be flashed or the theft deterrent pre-release "passwords" won't match. It will probably no crank. you can plug it in and try it and if it doesn't work...plug the old one back in.
What problem are you trying to fix?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

No engine rpms car runs like crap checked all wires leading to cpk. I changed cpk and checked signals leading still no engine rpms. before I change the crank position sensor the RPMs used to just drop off but after I changed it now I have no RPMs and a hard .start.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 11:30 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

need to work on your wording/grammar, dont get me wrong i do also. but i cant understand a dang thing you said
Old April 2nd, 2019, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

On my 3.5 2007 Chevrolet Impala the engine rpms would stop working on a cold start but after the car warmed up it ran fine , it started getting a dtc code p0336. So I replaced the crank position sensor. I checked all wires leading to crank position sensor. After replacing the crank position sensor the car currently does not have engine rpms and runs poorly. I'm thinking ECM must be at fault. Someone said there is a work around for the ECM if you match the VIN codes? I have seen the l engine rpms problems on other posts but no solution?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 2:13 PM
Super Moderator

is the p0336 code still setting?
any other codes?
this isn't related to the p0336 but once you get it running properly....whenever a new ckp sensor is replaced. a crank sensor variation relearn must be done with a scan tool. if not done false p0300 will set.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Yes a relearn was done and I'm still getting only the p0336 code. Is it possible the ECM could be the cause of engine running rough and how does the ECM aquire the signal from the crank sensor?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

to clarify...
engine rpms stop working...means you are not getting a rpm signal when viewed with the scan tool?
when the crank signal is lost...the pcm can use the cam signal. you would have a noticeable longer crank time when starting.

the ecm provides the ckp with a 5 volt reference voltage, a grd and a signal wire. The problem can only be the sensor, wiring or pcm.

this is how I would check the wiring.
key on, engine off. clear the codes
-unplug the ckp connector at the sensor...this should trigger a circuit high code...confirm this with a scan tool. if yes...go to next step
-check for 5.0 on the 5 volt reference pin at the ckp connector 4.8 to 5.2 is acceptable...if yes go to next step
-with a jumper wire...jumper the 5 volt pin to the signal pin (don't spread the connector pins). this should trigger a circuit low code. if yes the wiring is ok.
-if wiring is ok...replace ckp sensor
if fault resets...replace ecm