HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Key Fob issues

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2019, 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lyth
Car key remote fobs are a nice convenience to have, but they all stop working eventually. Even if it's just a dead battery, you can pretty much guarantee that your car doors will fail to unlock with the remote at one time or another.Some cars have push-button ignitions that only operate when the key fob is close by. These vehicles still usually have a physical key for locking and unlocking the doors, but it may be hidden. The key fob will often have a hidden key inside, so if you don't have a physical key for your vehicle, then check the fob for a release button or switch.
It will be helpful for me to use key fob by own, thanks. You have saved my bucks from hiring locksmith allen tx.
Old February 1st, 2019, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Our fob failed years ago, we fixed it ourselves once with parts from Auto Zone. Part of the problem is that one of the internal battery connections came unsoldered. Soldered back myself, worked for a while, failed again. What cheap crap!! So we just use our key. We have to be careful when locking it cause the driver's door thingy that sticks up will get stuck when down and not come up, so we always make sure its working before closing the door.
Old February 1st, 2019, 6:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Adam Lyth
Car key remote fobs are a nice convenience to have, but they all stop working eventually. Even if it's just a dead battery, you can pretty much guarantee that your car doors will fail to unlock with the remote at one time or another.Some cars have push-button ignitions that only operate when the key fob is close by. These vehicles still usually have a physical key for locking and unlocking the doors, but it may be hidden. The key fob will often have a hidden key inside, so if you don't have a physical key for your vehicle, then check the fob for a release button or switch.
I must be extremely lucky then. I have a 13 year old Ram and the key fob still locks and unlocks the doors as it always has. Note - this vehicle does not have remote start.
Old February 21st, 2019, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

I know I’m late to the conversation but why not reset your ECM yourself again then try it.
Old August 28th, 2019, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a nail file lightly over the contacts on the green board inside the FOB. Clean the rubber part insides with soap and water. Works every time for us.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im playing fob follies now. I said screw it and bought a tech2 diagnostic tool and ill program my own. One issue is that there are only 4 available slots for fobs. All must be programmed at the same time. If you have a working fob and try to program a new one you will also have to reprogram the old one. The problem with that is a different tool may not erase previous fobs as the tech2 does and you run out of slots. The crappy dealers in my area want $130 to program my fob. Its against forum rules to post what I said to them when they told me that hahaha! I also just finished cracking a theft lock radio by replacing the chip that holds the vin, easy job. Tired of paying inflated prices for a mechanic to push a few buttons.
Old October 19th, 2019, 11:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Tokin1
Im playing fob follies now. I said screw it and bought a tech2 diagnostic tool and ill program my own. One issue is that there are only 4 available slots for fobs. All must be programmed at the same time. If you have a working fob and try to program a new one you will also have to reprogram the old one. The problem with that is a different tool may not erase previous fobs as the tech2 does and you run out of slots. The crappy dealers in my area want $130 to program my fob. Its against forum rules to post what I said to them when they told me that hahaha! I also just finished cracking a theft lock radio by replacing the chip that holds the vin, easy job. Tired of paying inflated prices for a mechanic to push a few buttons.
Yeap, I am with you on the key fobs. I've had to replace two of them on my 2015 Malibu. Mostly it's the "trunk-open" button that doesn't' work. (and the trunk sometimes opens for no reason at all, as I pull out to drive, making me have to stop and close it. Never even touched the trunk button, so I guess its a "bug" that wasn't worked out.

Thankfully, it's never opened up at higher-speeds then city driving, so I can live with that. I have learned how to repair the fob when the rubber facing with the buttons on it, goes south. Cost about $15 dollars US, but it does take some time to do so and the key programs itself in the ignition lock. Other then that it's been a very nice Chevy Malibu that I plan on keeping for a long time.Still, I'd like to have a way to open the trunk with a key, not the button on the trunk lid, but you cant have everything.