HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Key wont come out!

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove key

I also am having issues with the key from the ignition. After reading all the posts, at least I can having something to tell the service department. When I made my appointment, he said he had never heard of this issue. I actually have an Equinox....sorry that his went under HHR

Last edited by pamt523; June 21st, 2011 at 5:09 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 2:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ask them to see the old part Before they install a new one.

Then lie, tell them you have to go to an emergency, but you'll

bring the car ri-i-i-ight back.

Game over, you win.

Whatever you do, DON'T allow them to install a new one!
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

pamt523,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. When is your appointment at the dealership?

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 23rd, 2011, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Well so far it's been a couple of weeks, I put a zip tie on the switch under the steering wheel to keep the switch from locking the key in the ignition and so far nothing has happened to cause any major problems.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
All though it could be deemed dangerous because since the gear selector switch is broken I can shift in to any gear without pushing in the gear button on the shifter but that's my choice since I’m the only one to drive my HHR.<o></o>
<o></o>
I think I’ll put the steering cover back on and call it a day, Hum I wonder if I have to report this to car fax dot com lol!<o></o>
Old June 24th, 2011, 3:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck Driver Bill
Well so far it's been a couple of weeks, I put a zip tie on the switch under the steering wheel to keep the switch from locking the key in the ignition and so far nothing has happened to cause any major problems.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
All though it could be deemed dangerous because since the gear selector switch is broken I can shift in to any gear without pushing in the gear button on the shifter but that's my choice since I’m the only one to drive my HHR.<o></o>
<o></o>
I think I’ll put the steering cover back on and call it a day, Hum I wonder if I have to report this to car fax dot com lol!<o></o>
There ya go...
Old June 24th, 2011, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

This problem should be a recall... I also own a 2006 HHR and this happens frequently like twice a year.... more than o want anyhow. My wife and i have learned to live with pressing the "white" button under and inside the steering column to take the key out until i get to taking the shift lever apart to push the little pin back in but its rediculous. and since i did the smart thing and read these forums it saved me 350 dollars and a new shifter that i didnt need at all from the dealership (since when i called them and told them what happened thats what they told me then quoted me for the labor). I hate going to shops/dealerships if i can do it myself.......

And since i used a dremmel tool and cut a perfect little hole in the side of the plastic the first time i did it, its easy access to fix each and every time. I will make a youtube vid of this and link it so people understand soon cuz i have to fix mine again anyhow.

Last edited by my3girlz; June 24th, 2011 at 7:25 PM.
Old July 7th, 2011, 8:01 AM
CF Active Member

I don't have an HHR, but is it possible to get a slightly larger spring pin and put in there instead of the one that's in it? Some folks call these roll pins too. Basically it's a pin with a slot cut down one side so you can expand it once it's installed in a hole.
Old September 25th, 2011, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Sahib

I have the same problem with the key, my key won't come out even while pressing the switch under the steering column. Any ideas what else can i do to release the key?
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2004 Malibu base model and I also couldn't get the keys out of the ignition. I took the center console off and turned this adjustment to make this longer and TA DA! I can now get my key out. Hope this helps others out. I did tons of research online before I found this solution. here are some pics to help you

UntitledLogo2.jpg Photo by fastrev | Photobucket

UntitledLogo1.jpg Photo by fastrev | Photobucket
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2004 Malibu base model and I also couldn't get the keys out of the ignition. I took the center console off and turned this adjustment to make this longer and TA DA! I can now get my key out. Hope this helps others out. I did tons of research online before I found this solution. here are some pics to help you

UntitledLogo2.jpg Photo by fastrev | Photobucket

Quick Reply: Key wont come out!