HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2021, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issue

Hi, I have an 07 HHR, weirdest car I have ever owned. I recently accidentally left a reading light on overnight and it drained my battery. I opened the hood and to my surprise was this weird little battery with only positive terminals. HMMMM. So, since I have roadside service with my insurance company I called. The guy came out and was able to jump my battery, but fuddled around trying to find a piece of metal to use as a ground for the negative. Started with the hood hinge and then ended up down in my engine. OK. He leaves, I get into my car to drive it for a while to charge up the battery and I have almost NO POWER STEERING. I stopped at a mechanic today to ask them to look at it and was told that the HHR doesn't have a place to add fluid because it is all electrical. So I am wondering if it is possible that when he used a metal part down in the engine as a ground, if that might have short circuited the electric power steering. It just seems so coincidental, since I had absolutely NO issues with power steering previous to my battery drain. Thanks in advance!
Old March 17th, 2021, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

the electric ps may have a fuse on the positive battery cable. if the booster cable is put on the wrong side of the fuse it may blow the ps fuse.
Old March 17th, 2021, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
the electric ps may have a fuse on the positive battery cable. if the booster cable is put on the wrong side of the fuse it may blow the ps fuse.
Thank you for confirming what my intuition told me.