HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

Press for bushings

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2019, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Press for bushings

I replaced both driver and passenger side control arms 5 yrs ago because both contol arm bushings were touching the frame. So currently with steering wobble I looked at the suspension and both control arm bushings have play in them.So I would like to just replace the bushings.Can you use these "rental presses from "Autozone or O'reilys ?????"
Old August 28th, 2019, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went went through this myself. The tool you rent at auto zone does not seem to have the right "cup" to fit onto the GM bushing. Even if it did have the right adapter i highly doubt you could get this gm bushing out. You can cut the rubber out and score the metal ring and air chissel it out but you'll still have to have a way to get the new bushing in. I had a guy at work in maintenance shop use his 10 ton hydraulic press to press out worn bushing and put a new one in to the factory control arm. Even when he used that it popped and creaked something fearce when going in. He said no way that tool at autozone would press a new one in.

The tool does work, ive seen it done but for the gm control arm and bushing i tried multiple times and no luck. If you get new control arms make sure you buy GM replacement ones. DO NOT get them at autozone. Ones at autozone do not fit properly at the ball joint and the rubber bushings are cheap and flimsy and you will have tons of clunking and alignment problems. I kept my factory ones with the bad bushings and had new bushings pressed in and put them back on and problems solved.

No more duracrap (duralast) stuff for me!!