Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

01 impala hard shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2009, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 impala hard shifting problem

I have a 01 impala 2nd owner on it, originally all stock until i got it. Car has 166k and has been well maintenanced, New Plugs and Wires, Using K&N Air Filter, Royal Purple Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Radiator Flushed and filled back with Dex-Cool, Transmission serviced and all fluids changed regularly and are at proper levels.

Recently i started having a problem while driving around town from alot of stopping and going after the car warmed to normal temp. it starts shifting harder than usual, also car sometimes get a bit warmer than usual. While its cold or even on the highway its fine. No problems at all. Usually until i get into stop and go traffic it starts doing the same thing. Dont know whats wrong with it and would like some advice on what to fix or do to stop this if possble.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by samuelcb409; October 26th, 2009 at 8:53 AM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my friend has an '01 buick century and he had the same problem. Im pretty sure its the same engine and tranny. He had replaced everything on the tranny inside and out, I mean sensors, filters, everything ! It would be fine for a while and then same thing. final result , replace tranny . I sincerely hope this is not your case. Good luck
Old October 26th, 2009, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 03 ls w/ 140k, started shifting into gear hard once warmed up. I put a can
of seafoam trans tune for approx. 100 miles, then flushed out with 10 quarts. Shifts
fine again. Tranny fluid was dirty even with regular maintenance. Hopefully this works.
Old October 27th, 2009, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jondoe28
I have an 03 ls w/ 140k, started shifting into gear hard once warmed up. I put a can
of seafoam trans tune for approx. 100 miles, then flushed out with 10 quarts. Shifts
fine again. Tranny fluid was dirty even with regular maintenance. Hopefully this works.
if i try this which fluid should i use, my dip stick says dex III only. any specfic fluid for better results? Also where did you get new filter dealer, autozone, etc.?
Old October 30th, 2009, 8:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

U used dexron. I never changed the filer, unhooked the line at the cooler and
flushed 2 quarts at a time up to 10. Would probably be easier to take it to a quick change
or dealer.
Old October 30th, 2009, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

I had a 03 impala that started to experience hard shifting and hesitation from stop and after checking several sites on line I found that this problem has been occuring with the 65e transmission on tons of owners. The solenoids are the culprits. It is not a cheap job to repair. Mine had 160 k or 100,000 miles. I got rid of it and I bought a brand new 2009 uplander and I am very happy with it
Old November 2nd, 2009, 4:18 AM
CF Junior Member

sounds like the PCS (pressure control solenoid) in the tranny. what ever you do, DO NOT get the tranny flushed at an oil change place or somewhere similar. this is very bad for the tranny. there is a filter inside the tranny thats supposed to filter out small particles in the fluid. the fluid always flows in the same direction. when you get the tranny flushed, like an oil change place will do, all they do is hook up the machine to the lines in the radiator and back flush the fluid. this means anything thats trapped on the filter will be pushed off the filter and back into the tranny somewhere.
Originally Posted by samuelcb409
if i try this which fluid should i use, my dip stick says dex III only. any specfic fluid for better results? Also where did you get new filter dealer, autozone, etc.?
the best thing to do is drop the pan on the tranny, which will drain about 95% of the old fluid, replace the filter and refill with dexron6. dex6 is compatible with dexIII so nothing bad will happen if they mix a little bit. you can get the filter at just about any auto parts store.

Last edited by milwaukee_01impala; November 2nd, 2009 at 4:21 AM.
Old November 5th, 2009, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by milwaukee_01impala
sounds like the PCS (pressure control solenoid) in the tranny. what ever you do, DO NOT get the tranny flushed at an oil change place or somewhere similar. this is very bad for the tranny. there is a filter inside the tranny thats supposed to filter out small particles in the fluid. the fluid always flows in the same direction. when you get the tranny flushed, like an oil change place will do, all they do is hook up the machine to the lines in the radiator and back flush the fluid. this means anything thats trapped on the filter will be pushed off the filter and back into the tranny somewhere.

the best thing to do is drop the pan on the tranny, which will drain about 95% of the old fluid, replace the filter and refill with dexron6. dex6 is compatible with dexIII so nothing bad will happen if they mix a little bit. you can get the filter at just about any auto parts store.
if i did do this would it possibly get rid or the hard shifting or help out with it and also has anyone used this dex6 on there impala before? or would it be best to get the tranny fixed by a profesional shop... please help me out asap
Old December 27th, 2009, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Having problems with a 2005 Chevrolet Impala with 72000 miles. Trans was shifting hard so we took it and had the trans fluid changed along with a new filter and additive called Lucas trans fix. They said it would take approx 100-200 miles to work. Anyone having the same problem we are? I think Chevrolet should fix this since it does not even have 100 thousand miles yet but the warranty is out at 36 thousand. We have not drove it the 100-200 miles yet but it seems it only does it when the car is warm.
Old June 16th, 2012, 2:59 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

this is a big problem with GM cars trannsmissions. you need to install a shift kit. it will fix your problem. mine did that. it would be fine until i get into stop and go city traffic. the computer see's that the your transmission is slightly slow on it's shifts and will gradually increase transmission pressure until it eventually maxes out the pressure. you can turn off the engine and it will reset the comuter but it will do it again after so many shifts. you can fix it by installing a shift kit to speed up shift time. all you do is shim up the pistons and springs in your transmission accumulator. and it will speed up shift time so the computer wont recognize the the slow shift and max out transmission fluid pressure. you can access the accumulator by dropping the transmission pan underneath your car.

Quick Reply: 01 impala hard shifting problem