Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'01 Impala - sticking thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Impala - sticking thermostat?

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with my Impala (2001 3.4L)...I think I know what's wrong, but i'd like to have a 2nd, 3rd, etc opinion before I do anything. The other day, after driving about 3 miles from a cold start, my temp gauge shot up to redline and the warning light came on. I pulled over and let the car cool for 20 minutes. While I waited, I checked a few things and noticed the coolant overflow tank was almost full. After cooling, the level went back to normal. I started driving again and everything was fine.

This morning, the same thing started to happen again, but just before the temp gauge redlined, I heard a sloshing noise from under the hood and the temp dropped back to where it should have been. Also - I noticed last night and this morning that I can't get any hot air from the vents...

I'm thinking that my thermostat is sticking..does that make the most sense? Is it a big deal to change? Is there anything else I should be checking first? I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!

**PS: i don't know if this helps, but I just went for a very short drive (the car was only running for a max of 4 minutes) and even though the temp gauge was only about 1/4 up, I had plenty of heat.

Last edited by 91iroc; October 6th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old October 7th, 2009, 1:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Have you flushed and filled the system at all? Sounds like you could have air bubbles in the system... you may want to get additional input on this but try taking off the radiator cap, then running the engine, and see if it still happens. However it could certainly be a thermostat issue.

I had the same problem with my old camry after I flushed the radiator... The overflow tank was getting too full and bubbling out... I took off the radiator cap while it was running and the fluid in the overflow tank was able to flow through the system and problem solved.
Old October 8th, 2009, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply...I actually had that check on my to-do list. I haven't replaced the coolant in the 4 years I've had the car (maybe I should have), nor have I had to add any. So, if I am getting air, the next question is - from where?
Old October 10th, 2009, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I took the rad cap off and ran the engine today...LOTS of air bubbles came out.
After that, I topped off the fluid again and ran it. So far so good, but I've only driven a couple of km with it. My next question is: Where could the air in the system have come from? I assume for air to go in that fluid should be able to leak out, too...but I don't see any leaks. Could it suck air from the heater core?

Last edited by 91iroc; October 11th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old October 17th, 2009, 5:09 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, I decided to go and get a block test & pressure test done to see where my air was coming from. About 15 minutes and $17 later, my block test revealed a leaking head gasket

I'm taking the car in to have the gaskets replaced, the coolant/oil changed and new plugs installed next week. Thanks for all of your help.