Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

03 Impala cooling fan schematic

Old June 4th, 2009, 6:04 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible that the problem is gone, computers take averages to trigger the CE light, they also take time to turn off if the code was not cleared right away.
Old June 5th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCOMPAQ%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I didn’t expect the problem to be gone since the circuit was blowing 25A fuses. The check engine light came back when I started the car this morning. The temp stayed around 195F to and from work – an hour on the highway each way. I did get some temp rise this afternoon while at a red light. Temp rose to ~210F then dropped back to ~195 when I started moving. When I got home I opened the hood and saw fan #1 (passenger side) was not running but fan #2 (driver side) was. I checked the fuse for fan #1 and found it was good. The top radiator hose was hot and fairly hard. Looks like I may need a new thermostat. I tried to run the AC but it would not start. Fan #2 kicked into high when the temp hit ~215 then went to low at ~ 210. Fan 1 never started. Since the fuse was good I don’t know if I have a relay problem (previously swapped them with other relays elsewhere in the car), a PCM problem (I have read it controls the circuit logic), or something else.
<o> </o>
Comments and suggestions are requested.
Old June 5th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

How did I get emotocons in my previous post? I didn't put them there!
Old August 2nd, 2009, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Finally got some time to get the car into the shop. Turns out the problem was an intermittent short. Seems the wires were contacting the AC pulley which eventually rubbed off the insulation. Normal engine vibrations would cause the short. Troubleshooting the problem gave my mechanic fits - he had to call a buddy in a local dealership. The buddy had worked on a similar problem that took him many hours to find - guess it pays to network. My total repair cost was less than $80.

For anyone else with this problem, did you recently have any work requiring the belts or hoses to be moved? If yes, check the location and mounting of the wiring harness. Last year I had a tune up - plugs, wires, belts, hoses - and I suspect, but can't prove, the wiring harness was bumped as the problem initially surfaced a month or so after the tune up.