Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

06 Impala Criuse Control engages uncommanded.

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2009, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 Impala Criuse Control engages uncommanded.

My 06 Impala has steering wheel controls for radio & cruise control. It has begun to act up recently. The cruise control has engaged uncommanded & the radio has changed stations uncommanded. Any ideas?
Old March 8th, 2009, 7:27 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just to verify that it is what I think it is, remove the airbag, and d\c the steering wheel controls. See if the problem goes away. If it does, then you need some new controls.
Also might want to make sure that your aren't inadvertantly pressing the button while driving

To remove the air bag, insert a small blunt-ended tool (I usually use an allen wrench) through the access openings, on the left and right of the steering wheel, push on the blunt-ended tool to release the steering wheel inflator from the steering wheel.

Last edited by shawnvw; March 8th, 2009 at 7:56 AM.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By engage, do you mean turn-on or do you mean turn on suddenly and go say from 40 to 80 real quick? Cause if it's the latter, pull the fuse and get that damned thing fixed! Please!
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CC simply engages to maintain speed. It has done this twice. The first time, I thought I must have engaged it. The second time was in rush hour traffic & I never use it in RH. I'm certain it engaged by itself. The horn has honked 3 quick times just after I shut off the car. The radio has changed channels twice by going to the next programmed channel down. All three of these systems have controls on the steering wheel which are capable of commanding these 3 symptoms. This is quite a coincidence. I called 2 GM parts departments & they say they don't have calls for SIR Coils (clocksprings). I talked to a repairman who said look for a short behind the airbag. Believe me, if the car began to accelerate on its own, I'd have pulled the fuse.
Old March 12th, 2009, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't trying to be bossy, just concerned for you. I have a 2006 Impala and am sensitive to the breed. Let us know what you find out. Factory glitch?
Old March 16th, 2009, 8:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It does sounds like a short of some sort...either under the air bag, in the clockspring, or under the dash where the wires come off of the clockspring