Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

'06 Impala LT rapid tapping noise?

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2007, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Impala LT rapid tapping noise?

I have a 2006 Impala LT with 9000 miles on it. Off and on for the past week or so I can hear a rapid tapping sound while driving my car (sounds like it's coming from under the hood somewhere). Sometimes I only hear it when slowing down, sometimes I only hear it when I am idle, sometimes I hear it when driving slowly and not pushing the gas, and sometimes it's gone all together. I had the power steering pump replaced a couple of weeks ago, and this noise started about a week or so after the repair. It's been extremely cold lately, too, so I don't know if the noise has anything to do with cold weather or not (but then sometimes the tapping noise is still occurring even after the car is warmed up)...anyone have a clue what it could be? I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow, but taking my car in is such a PAIN. Thanks!
Old February 27th, 2007, 1:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '06 Impala LT rapid tapping noise?

Hi.

I have the same problem with a 2006 LT.

I can only hear the tapping from inside the car. When I get out and open the hood, I can't hear the noise.

If you get any resolution from a visit to the dealer, please post a summary.

I'll do the same.

Thanks.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if you have an exhaust leak.
Old February 27th, 2007, 1:40 PM
CF Senior Member

I have a 70 Monte carlo with the V8.
At one time It had a tapping sound- I thought it was a valve or something. took it in........
Turns out it was a small exhaust leak at the manifold.....
Old March 23rd, 2007, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

My Sister has a 2006 Impala( LS 3.5L V6 ). She has this same issue and it developed pretty soon after purchase( she has had it for about 9 months now and the noise for about 8 ). A pretty good tapping/knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from the lower end( bad rod bearing? ). Used to only happen from a start up to like 25-30 MPH then it would go away. Sometimesit would be gone for a few days then come back. Run the highway for a while and it would disappear for a few hours. Etc... Lately though it has got worse and become constant at all speeds and conditions and doesn't go away.

Dealer has checked and rechecked and checked again and can't find anything external to fix it. Tech has been on the phone time and again with GM for ideas to no avail.Next Monday the car goes in for a completeengine removal and tear down( GM's idea ). Will let you know what they do to fix this.

Very nice car but it has been plagued with issues. Besides the engine noise it has also had some major electrical issues. Heater kept going out and not working and she is having the radio replaced for the FOURTH time when they do the engine rebuild. Radio keeps blowing out.

They sure don't make cars they way they used too.
Old March 30th, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Junior Member

UPDATE

Dealership has removed the engine and torn it down. Nothing immediately jumps out at them so they say but GM has authorized a new crate engine and it is coming. Why, if nothing was wrong, would they send a new engine? Why not just rebuild this one?Whatever the reason it is good to know she is getting a factory crate engine( new or rebuilt? )and the bubba's that work at this service department won't be rebuilding it.
Old March 30th, 2007, 2:37 PM
CF Senior Member

its probably one of those things where engineering will go over it with a fine tooth comb to see why its doing such a noise- mechanically it is ok....
but if its making sounds then maybe they can look into it the dynamics of fluid flow etc in the internals....something like that.....
Old April 5th, 2007, 3:31 PM
CF Junior Member

UPDATE

Well, GM sent a brand new complete engine( not just a short block and not rebuilt ). Picked the car up last night. Noise is GONE! [8D]
Old April 5th, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Senior Member

nice!
Old April 6th, 2007, 3:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Glad you got a NEW engine out of it.

Curious if the old piston slap syndrome is back.

Quick Reply: '06 Impala LT rapid tapping noise?