Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

14' Impala 2LT, sprung a leak.

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2018, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14' Impala 2LT, sprung a leak.

Has anyone found standing water in the spare tire well? I just opened the trunk after having the car serviced at the dealer. I was replacing the tire lug nut key to the container under the trunk mat and noticed the spare tire was soaked in condensation and about a 1/4" of standing water in the well. The upholstery in the trunk itself is dry and I didn't see any trail of water coming from anywhere. We had some very heavy rain a week ago and it's been very cold since, not sure when, or how long the water has been in there. The car is garaged a big portion of it's time. Anyone have the problem?
Old January 27th, 2018, 6:28 PM
rvj
CF Beginner

There was a TSB when your car was under warranty, now it's on you.
Old January 28th, 2018, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rvj
There was a TSB when your car was under warranty, now it's on you.
Do you know the specifics of the issue?

Edit, looked it up myself. Had no idea there was a service bulletin on the issue, my dealer never mentioned it. Will be calling them, as I have the extended warranty.

Last edited by BOSOX; January 28th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old January 28th, 2018, 2:02 PM
rvj
CF Beginner

Let us know how the dealer gets out of repairing it for you.
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even after getting it repaired, keep an eye on it so the tire well does not fill up again. I had to bring my 2014 Impala 2LTZ back 3 times as it kept letting water in after the first 2 repairs. I guess they are supposed to use an updated thicker gasket for the tail lights. I bet the first 2 times they did not.
Old January 29th, 2018, 8:18 PM
CF Veteran

Talking

And here I thought it was the dealer trying to water the baby spare tire so's it would grow into a real (adult) tire.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

You could always pull taillights and apply thin film/coating of RTV sealant onto gaskets and re-install.
Old November 28th, 2018, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

I fixed it myself, using the thicker gaskets, and it's been fine since. I did call Chevrolet directly and voiced my dissatisfaction with them and they offered a $50 credit toward my next service to make me feel better. It never showed up but I took note of who I talked to and the date and time I called. I called them again several months later (when I realized it never showed up in the mail) and voiced even more dissatisfaction. They sent a $100 credit toward service or parts directly to my email. It's good for a year and I'll use it soon toward an oil n filter service and Injection clean out.

On a side note, I'm not too happy that GM is going the way Ford is and cutting models, jobs and closing plants. Gas prices will rise again, truck sales will slow down and people will come to their senses and have to ditch the big rigs and get cars again. If GM and Ford have none to sell then what? Autonomous is nothing I'll ever consider because we don't live in a perfect world. Someone will hack into them and send them haywire. I'll take my chances and drive my vehicle myself.
Old November 29th, 2018, 2:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my Impala in again for water in the spare tire wheel well (this sort of gives a new meaning to well). This time there was about 1/2" of water in it. I believe it was fixed properly last time it went in for a water leak, but the right taillight got hit by a carriage in a parking lot and the lens got cracked. I believe when the shop replaced the broken tail lens, they did not tighten the top two attachment nuts and were left about 1/4" from being tightened down. When I found this out, I tightened down the loose nuts, but by the time I did this, the gaskets were really compressed on one side from not being put in properly and still leaked. I put new thicker gaskets in and am hoping for the best that this is the end of it. After 5 recurrences with water in the trunk, I really hope this is the end of it.