Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2 Questions about my impala

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2012, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Questions about my impala

1) How would i know if i need to replace my water pump. It started leaking coolant and i heard if u hear like a squeaking noise then the water pump is going out. Also my car does not overheat

2) Can't recall if this is normal but when i turn my car on i hear air being sucked in like a vacume and even when im driving when i give it gas it sounds like it sucks more in but also sometimes the noise isnt even there.

Last edited by cyr0n3; January 25th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 1:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pressure test can determine if your water pump is leaking, and if it is, you should replace it. As for squealing, well, if the belt is good and it's the water pump that's squealing (make sure it's not something else making the noise), then yes, replace the pump.

You want to make sure it's the water pump that's the problem because there's a good amount of labor involved so you don't want to replace it unless it really is the problem. A belt, on the other hand, is not a big deal to replace. But if the pump itself is making that kind of noise, it's likely the bearing, and when it goes, you will be replacing it. Best to do it on your own terms, not when you're out on the road somewhere.

Not sure about the sucking noise, but check your air intake and vacuum lines for leaks. But chances are, if there is a major air leak, you will get bad performance and probably a check engine light will come on.